It's not all white sandy beaches & pina coladas!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 15th 2015
Published: February 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It’s not all white sandy beaches and pina coladas anymore, we have now discovered the tough parts of traveling in a 3rd world country. The blog has been difficult to upload at times, with internet speeds as fast as a turtle and mosquitos buzzing around my head while I watch the upload…1%!,(MISSING) 2%!,(MISSING) 3%!.(MISSING).well you get the picture. After sea kayaking yesterday, we decided to find a nicer restaurant on the island to celebrate Scott’s 32nd trip around the sun. We tried to get suggestions from the expats that we made friends with on the dive trip, but they were not accustomed to more expensive $12 meals. They told us Ciao Bella looked like a nice place right on the beach, so we took off to find this “nice place.” Scott ordered BBQ and I ordered what I thought was curry with crab meat. My food came first and it was a whole crab cooked in curry. As you can imagine curry soaked crab legs are slightly hard to crack and having only 1 napkin made it a messy job. It took another 15 minutes for them to bring Scott’s incredibly dry BBQ meats and salad with not one drop of dressing. Scott’s nice birthday dinner was nothing like we were expecting, but all part of the experience on Phi Phi. It was our last night on the island so we decided to go out with a bang! We had been hearing what sounded like the Las Vegas strip from the other side of the bay and decided to check it out. The beach was lined with bars and all of them had their own fire show. The last bar we stopped at on the beach was called the Slinky Bar. It was not only Scott’s birthday, but Valentine’s Day and there were young backpackers doing the limbo with “Free Kisses” signs. As you can imagine we were more of an audience to the madness then we were part of it, so we didn’t last long there. Back to the room for what turned out to be a very restless night. Apparently that crab and curry came with another surprise that kept me in the bathroom most of the night. I guess that was my herbal cleansing tea for the week. Scott didn’t have that problem, but upon waking up the next morning found that anywhere he missed on his body with the bug spray, the 1 mosquito that was in our room found! Yet another close call running to the ferry pier and we were off for Krabi. We just arrived in Ao Nang and checked into our hotel on the beach. Beautiful area and the hotel looks promising! We both miss all of you back home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb