Storm in Paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
January 8th 2017
Published: January 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We've just lived through a massive storm and here we were thinking this was the dry season!
It all began on Friday evening, the day had been cloudy and dull but still nice enough for the beach.
We had planned to collect a bike that evening so we could take off early next morning and visit other parts of the island.
As we stepped out of the door around 6pm to collect the bike it began to rain so we decided to wait a while and sheltered inside.
However the rain became heavier and heavier making it impossible to go out. After two hours it finally eased so we jumped into the nearest bar, Jam Bar, for dinner deciding to give up on the bike fir the time being as most of the roads around here are dirt/ dust. Now thick mud! All the tables and chairs were drenched apart from one which had been pulled into the middle. Jam bar is only small and open on three sides. A few more people began to filter in but soon the rain began again. It carried on for a full 24 hours practically non stop. We spent the next long boring day inside our bamboo hut.
That night was Pak's birthday party at Jam Bar and thankfully the rain stopped in time and a good time was had by all. Everyone relieved that the rain had finally eased. By midnight it had returned! By this time no one cared any more and carried on partying.
Next morning , however, we woke with a start. A howling wind sprung up from nowhere and all round we could hear loud crashing noises.
I threw on some clothes and yelled at Stan to get up quick fearing the bamboo hut might get destroyed around us. I opened the door to look out and shut it again fast as a branch dropped just feet in front of me. Many of the residents from the bamboo huts were gathered into one of the two concrete air con rooms, after a while I ventured out and asked why, it turned out a huge tree had come down near them and they feared for their life. It was blocking the entrance and needed to be removed later with a chain saw.
During all this time of course we had no electricity, and no water as it relies on electric to be pumped through. The internet was down too, of course, so no way of contacting Sharon.
We sheltered in our hut for a few hours listening to the wind and rain fearing to step out as debris from the nearby Funky fish bar's roof came hurtling up past our hut. By midday we were in the eye of the storm and all sudenly went calm. We ate a hurried lunch at funky fish and surveyed the damage along the beach. A huge tree had also fallen onto Jam Bar's roof causing damage, the sea was whipping up washing away the beautiful beach.
An hour later the wind returned along with more rain and we were confined to the hut once again praying the flimsy structure could withstand the storm. It was too dangerous to try and walk anywhere else as debris flew around.
By 4.40pm it finally eased and we made our way to Sharon's place, a 3 km walk away. Large parts of the road were flooded and my flip flops stuck like glue on the muddy bits making each step hard work!
Sharon and Scott had lost part of their roof and rain had poured in wetting the kids beds.
We took them out to play now the storm had calmed while Sharon and Scott tried to clear up. They were full of beans with loads of pent up energy from being confined to the room for two days
The roof got fixed and we left them waiting for the electric to come back on as it rapidly approached 6pm. Sunset. Once that came every where would be pitch black unless it got fixed
I'd bought a candle as our torches were flat but within ten minutes of being back at our hut the lights came on. Thank goodness.
Now ,Monday morning the big clear up is underway, it turns out we did OK, some huts at other places were completely destroyed along with some beach front bars and a gasoline station. Jam bar is back open for business and the sun is out.
There was still an odd shower but by midday that seemed to have passed on too.
Paradise restored!
Its now 5pm and the beach has practically dried out!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



10th January 2017

Scary!
Glad you are all ok now. Must have been very frightening for everyone. Another tale to share with the grandchildren in years to come! Hopefully the rest of your trip will be sunny and exciting in a good way. ?

Tot: 0.484s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 17; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb