Newlaaannds's... Aarrghhhhh


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 26th 2015
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 7.97501, 98.3515



It all started with a few pictures on Facebook of Yacht Haven Marina in Phuket with Malmuirie and my brother Tony's comment 'tempted' which started the ball rolling. I spoke to Drew about Tony coming out and he was delighted, absolutely no problem to stay on the boat and we would try and get out sailing.

So I contacted Tony who had started looking at flights and trying to talk my young sister Diane into coming but with no cash or holidays left it looks like Tony is on his own. Within a couple of days he confirmed flight details and would arrive for 10 days in less than one weeks time... ha ha brilliant, I couldn't wait.

I borrowed Roel's car and headed out to the airport to collect him, the flight was half an hour early so I was glad I arrived before schedule. Waiting, waiting then finally I spot him... man I couldn't believe he's come all this way to see me, a couple of hugs later and something else catches my eye... 'Dad'... hiding behind a wee woman, trying to sneak up on me, I was overwhelmed. Although brave enough not to cry when Tony came threw,
Dad threw me completed as I dived over for a hug feeling quite emotional, what a brilliant surprise!

Out of the airport we jumped in the car and head to meet Drew in the Haven Rest at the marina, he's going to be surprised too. Walking down the stairs I saw Drew double take and walk away from his company towards us as introductions got underway, Drew this is my brother Tony... and this is my Dad, ha ha he was stoked! It was late when we arrived but we shouted a beer and got down to the business of catching up after three and a half years. My brother Eddie and his wife Maria sent me over a nice bottle of Glenmorangie which was so thoughtful, needless to say we opened it in the bar to celebrate arrival and cheers with a wee dram each, the bar brought us glasses and ice and a toast was had.

Honestly what a wonderful surprise, Tony got down to serious business of trying to find the Celtic game which was due to start at 1am and was delighted when Nat the barman found it for him, looks like we're in for a late night. The bar kindly left the TV and pool table on, brought us a cooler full of beers and once their shift was done they left us to it with instructions of how to put everything off. A few stayed to join us and watch the game and even though I don't remember the score we had a great first night before introducing them to the boat.

Unfortunately Malmuirie is without a hand rail at the moment as it's in the workshop for repair but we instruct Dad on getting on board OK, but he then proceeds to sit at the back of the boat on a tub star gazing, he can't get over the sky at night. We all sit up chatting for hours and actually were still up at sunrise when Dad decided to go swimming, oh lord I begged him not to jump into the marina because it's so difficult to get out and it isn't clean but hooligan status overtook and off he jumped. He was delighted but then saw the dilemma of getting back out and thankfully Tony came to the rescue and managed to get him back onto the dock, but they were both all scrapes from the barnacles trying to get back on. I got them cleaned up and a neighbour Jim brought over a talc for the barnacles and to keep them clean, ahh.. time to get to bed for a while and rest.

So start of new adventures, they had a proper look about the boat and I showed them how to use everything from toilets to fans, it is a hot boat so they might not last with the heat and have to check into somewhere with air con but we'll see how it goes. Dad always wears long trousers and shirts so is coping better with the heat than Tony, a dock shower helps to cool off and you dry so quickly anyway, it's a quick fix.

Roel was extremely kind and let me use his car while they were here and we had great fun out exploring the island, introducing them to the culture and generally just spending time together. Our first trip took us over to Nai Thon beach which is fairly close by, we parked up, walked down the beach and straight away Dad jumped in, trousers, shirt, hats, socks... the lot still on! Not to worry we would soon dry off in the heat but it was absolutely stunning, beautiful conditions and the water is lovely and warm so we have a swim and relax enjoying cooling off, we were like beached whales at one point lying in the surf but it's all great fun.

And relax, this is like a holiday for me too as I've left Drew working on the boat, we have a stroll along the beach, check out some of the local stalls along the beach road and pop into a place for lunch which Tony treats us to, in fact the whole trip he spoils us rotten and looks after not only me but Dad too. That's a few beers I owe you big time Tony when I've got some cash.

Once we're settled Dad decided then to take his trousers off to dry and hangs them up on one of the chairs, honestly you can take the man out of Glasgow.... but... you know the saying! It's nice to be out of the marina, I'm going to have fun while the family is here, we go a drive around on the way back and stop at odd markets, temples and places of interest.

They meet all the crowd at the marina and enjoy a beer down the cafe, bar or restaurants and have good fun, so we end up out during the day and back at the marina at night. I took them all over the island, some days Drew would join us which was great, Promthep Cape and Nai Harn beach via Chalong was a great day out, visiting the viewpoint, watching the para gliders and enjoying swimming at the beach but the traffic coming back through Phuket can be horrendous and the trip back of only 45km took 2 hours!

Phuket Town and temples out at the peninsular was a bit of a detour but fun all the same, Nai Yang beach is stunning and one of the longest beaches in Phuket at the north of the island which no one really seems to go to. We watched power boats trying to bring guests into the beach by dinghy but they were really struggling with the waves, we sat for a drink and enjoyed the sunset before our friend Tony took us all to a local/western restaurant not far from Sarasin Bridge. We all piled into the car, Tony, Dad, Roel, Drew,Tony and me so it was a bit of a squeeze but well worth it, they all enjoyed the food but unfortunately I didn't have much of an appetite that night, too much partying I would say!

Instead of heading out sailing on Drew's boat because work is still getting done, we went out on Tony's power boat which was a fabulous day, thank you Tony for making it really special for us and a great part of their trip. We arrived at Destiny's Voyageur (DV) early in the morning, threw the lines off and headed out the marina, the conditions are perfect and we enjoyed being out at sea. It's a very comfortable boat and Tony takes us round towards Phang Nga and the stunning limestone karsts, islands, caves and more.

Now this is more like it, viewing Phuket by sea, passing local fishing boats, tourist boats, speed boats and local junk rigs it was a lovely trip. At one point we had a problem with the steering and rudder which forced us to throw anchor before we had planned but it all worked out well. Everyone jumped in for a swim, came back out for a spot of lunch but with the rudder/steering problem, Drew ended up throwing on the hooker and diving to scrape the prop... set up?? well maybe! Good job though Drew for diving and sorting what could have caused the problem, I know that meanwhile Roel and Tony were checking out the auto pilot etc. and thankfully managed to get the problem fixed.

Roel took Tony, Dad and Drew out to a nearby cave by dinghy but they forgot to take any torches or lights with them so apparently Dad was flashing his phones flash light to try and light the way to save them being lost in the cave, honestly none of them even gave it a thought! The caves here are fascinating I've been in so many in Asia it's almost like alien forms made from the limestone, it can be eerie, weird and incredible all at the same time.

On their return we went over to anchor at other islands and cracked open a bottle of rum, the fun started with the pirate hat and eye patch and we were all doing a bit'o'rum swigging, the night was starting to swing! Although we were going to go into the beach on the island for a swim we decided not to and headed back to the marina, only problem was we couldn't berth into Tony's berth because it wasn't slack tide so we tied up on the outside beside all the super yachts for the night instead. We finished the night with dinner and more beers and we were all pretty wiped out by the time we left although we would be back in the morning to berth DV and for the clean up operation!

We got Tony safely berthed in the morning and a good tidy round before anything else, Dad, Tony and I had a chill out day wandering around the marina looking at the boats, there are some stunning boats here and also spent some time helping Drew sanding the cap rails and doing a general clean up on Malmuirie too.

Time flies as they say when you're having fun and before I knew it we were on to Dad and Tony's last days. Tony by this point had been eaten alive by mozzie's, was really struggling with the heat and was ducking out of the sun at every turn. Every bite on him ended up all swollen so much so that by the time they were heading home he was going to take a run via the hospital.

Tony was by this point loving just being in the car for the air con and didn't really want to leave it. Drew and I took them out to the airport to say our farewells, sad to see them go but delighted by the time we spent together.

Thank you Tony and Dad for coming all this way to see me, I was really touched and it makes me miss you guys and all the family even more. Who knows where my next adventures take me but you'll see me again soon, give all the family big hugs from me! Love you guys millions x




Additional photos below
Photos: 102, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

You can keep your hat on...You can keep your hat on...
You can keep your hat on...

And, shirt, trousers, socks...


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb