Ko Tao, Ko Samui, Diving & Gun Shots - Thailand!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
October 15th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Koh Phangan, DONE!
Next island stop......Ko Tao!!!

Deciding it might be in our liver's best interests to leave Koh Phangan, the 3 of us made a move to our next island stop, Ko Tao - divers paradise!!

First day we got there, we were immediately put into dive school - no one told us there would be classroom work! boooo! 3 hours and a snooze later we were ready to take to the water the next morning.
Day one - pool work!!
The 3 of us were teamed up with 3 other girls - Esther, Michelle and Iya (hi ladies!!!).
The pool work turned out to be a challenge for all of us but we got through the day (thanks to our trusty instructor Rich), ready to hit the sea the next morning!! eek!!

Day two - Jaws time!!!
So....it turns out Juli is scared of water!
Excellent idea to load on a BCD,attach an air tank to your back, shove some fins on and launch yourself off a boat into the deep blue! aaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!
3m down and i realise that im bricking it and has lost the ability to breathe!
Que panick, tears and a fight with my diving instructor to surface!
Swimming faster than Phelps, i was out that water and back on the safety of the boat in seconds and that was the end of dive school for Halliday 😞
Rob however, experienced the wonders of the sea world for both of us and went on to complete her Padi course along with the rest of the girls!! woop woop well done team!! 😊
Sounds amazing with wee nemo's and all sorts swimming about!!

A learning curve for all of us and some great friendships made with our English elite, Esther and Michelle! mwaaahhhhh!!!

Kat, Esther and Michelle got the diving bug and decided to complete their advanced padi, while we made a move onto the 3rd island.....Koh Samui!

Or should we say, Magaluf with Lady boys!!
What an experience: lady boys, men trying to sell pictures of you and their monkeys in the street, hookers, more neon lights than times square - are we really in Thailand?!?!!
On the boat trip over we made friends with a lovely couple, Tony & Kirsty, and ended up finding accomodation with them!
Hotel sorted, it was drinkie time!!
The 4 of us made our way to the "main st" and before we knew it, the buckets were getting thrashed, the dancing had started and banter flowing! what a great night!!
Rob got to catch up with Chris's friend, Mikey, from all the way back home! Small world indeed!

A couple of days later Kat, Esther & Michelle joined us and we were back to our 5-some!! woop woop!
Deciding to show the girls the nightlife here, we make our way down to the Green Mango (hot spot of Ko Samui)
Having a fab night as per usual with our girls - buckets in hand, dancing away to the banging tunes (R n B night, woop woop) when all of a sudden we hear..............................
"BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!!"
The whole club hits the floor, some people running to the back - WTF is going on?!?!
We thought it was part of the song but no no, some guy has just been shot dead!
Music stops, not realising what had happened, we run to the entrance of the club to see the guy being dragged up past the club and dumped in a heap. Nice.
The next minute, the police arrive, heave the dead guy on a moped sandwiched between 2 others and off they zoom away.
Music then goes back on as if nothing has happened!! HUH?!?!!?
Clearly no one gets back on the dance floor and the club gives up and that was the end of the night!
The police didnt even bother that people has witnessed the shooting and just put deck chairs round the blood stains, hmmmmmmm!
An abrupt end to the night, but at least Burger King was empty so we decided to take advantage and mull over the evenings events over a chicken royal! mmmmmmmmm!

Needless to say, we weren't feeling the safest in Ko Samui after murder on the dancefloor and decided to leave the day after next.

Next stop.....Krabi!!

Lessons learned:
*lady boy does actually mean hooker
*murders happen here on a frequent basis
*deck chairs can be used for more than just seating!







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb