Relaxing in Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
March 11th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just had 3 great days on Ko Tao which is an island out 45km north of Koh Samui. Getting there was less fun as it took an hour and a half on a very choppy catamaran. The weather was not great and it was very windy.

We are staying on Hat Sai Ree which is the main beach. It is 1.7km long so there is plenty of sand! The day we arrived the weather was pretty poor and it rained a lot including a few torrential down pours. We did go for a very wet walk down the beach. It did brighten up though and we were able to go for a swim in the late afternoon. The sea is so warm here, it is like being in a bath!

The next two days were much better weather wise and we spent a lot of time in the sea. Firstly we kayaked along the bay and back. The water here is so clear we could see all the coral and fish below us. We also swam, played frisbee and snorkelled. The sea here is ideal as it is is super warm and shallow. Not great if you want to do serious swimming but good for messing about in. Also we could wade out to the coral which was very handy. We saw loads of fish including a huge group of around 100 parrot fish. They were having some type of feeding frenzy. When you have your head under the water all you can hear is the sound of the fish nibbling the coral.

Ko Tao also has some great restaurants on the beach. In the day there is just sand and by night there are whole restaurants with lights, plants, cooking stations etc. The fish is really good here and the way it seems to work is that there is a huge tray filled with different types of fish. You choose the one you like and then they cook it for you. It was really tasty and cheap too.

Back to Koh Samui tomorrow. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the sea is very flat and there is no wind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

I'm snorkelling!I'm snorkelling!
I'm snorkelling!

How scary! I am suprised the fish did not swim away in fright!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb