Island Hopping


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The full moon party came and went. I've never seen so many people on one beach in my life!! IT was so crazy that we lost our friends within the first few minutes and after about an hour of searching Holly and I resigned ourselves to the fact that it was unlikely we were going to find them in a crowd of 15,000 people so took to drinking a bucket of cocktail! The novelty of drinking strong alcoholic drinks out of something i used to make castles with still hasn''t worn off, love it! We took nothing more than money for the night and our key to the full moon though we came back with no money left and no key! The resort owners didn;t even lift an eyebrow and said they were totally used to it! EVERYONE who took wallets/cameras/phones etc got their stuff jacked! The full moon party seems to be a big money maker off drunk tourists!! I personally prefered the warm up to and parties on previous days that the actual full moon party but like the Muay Thai Boxing, I'm glad I went- It's all part of the experience!!

Next up was Ko Tao where
Full moon warm upFull moon warm upFull moon warm up

The bucket cocktail...
Holly did her open water diving licence and I (having realised it's nearly 4 years since i last dived) did a refresher course. I was very excited to see puffer fish, blue spotted rays and harlequin sweetlips- to name a few! Whilst Hol's was learning to dive I went to Koh Samui to meet some friends we made at the full moon party. The highlights have to be seeing a man (who had already lost a finger and had a mutilated forearm) put his head in a crocodile's mouth, and listening to a Thai cover band do 'knocking on hebans door' in a full on Irish pub! The Island didn't look its best becuase the weather has been pretty dull and wet the past few days. On the ferry ride over,whilst i was loving the rouh sea and rain in my face everyone else was throwing up into little plastic bags with each person swinging their little bag of sick in tme with the waves...nice...

We're about to take an overnight ferry to Surattani then a bus over to Krabbi for the last week of our Thailand adventure



I love:
The Thais, they are such a gentle race and everyone genuienly wants to help.
The wonderful flavours (really into the fried chicken and cashew nut right now)
The fact that seeing 4 children under the age of 11 on one motorbike with no helmets is commonplace
The simplicity of life, many people live with their 1 cow, 7 dogs and 17 children in a little hut yet always crack a smile!
The ladies pushing their kitchens around selling all kinds of weird and wonderful gooides
The complete lack of health and safety, most of the best places would be closed down. I found 3 ants in my omlette this morning!
The cost of a beer - less than a pound
The cost of dinner - less than 50p
The cost of a night's accomodation 3 quid each
the travellers you meet, all with a different story
most of all - the experience... it's all part of the experience

I miss:
All of you
Proper bread - would kill for brown toast and marmite right now
and maybe a hot shower with more pressure than a watering can!
oh and maybe a flushing toilet that you can put paper down... Holly still hasn't mastered the hose!

take care
xx




Advertisement



7th March 2008

you can get your toast and marmite in singapore :) don't worry!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb