Little Village among the Mangroves


Advertisement
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

From Phuket we headed Northwards and around the bay to Phang-Nga. A tiny little town surrounded by limestone mountains and palm trees, it's a very cute little place, the highlight of which is a trip out on Ao Phang Nga (Phang Nga Bay).

We took an afternoon jaunt in a longtail boat through the mangrove swamps, through caves and past little limestone islands that cover the bay. It was beautiful, one of the most impressive places we have visited in Thailand. After spending a few hours out on the water we stopped at Koh Tapu (James Bond Island) where The Man with The Golden Gun was filmed. It's tacky and filled with tourists, but the caves and bays nearby are quietly stunning.

Avoiding a storm out at sea we headed back to Koh Panyee, a Muslim fishing village on stilts which clings to the side of one of the limestone mountains, just out of the mouth of the mangrove canals. It's a really pleasant little village with a nice laid back, friendly atmosphere. We spent the night here, watching the sunset over the water as locals had dragon boat races up the riverways, and feasting on a spread of seafood and other delights like I had never seen (there so much pineapple my tongue tingled afterwards!).

After a peaceful night sleeping above the water (we could see it through the floor) we awoke to a glorious sunrise across the water as the village began to rouse itself from slumber, the fishmermen already out on the waves. After a quick breakfast we jumped on board the public boat and set off back to Phang Nga town. The ride back showed the bay at its most brilliant in the early morning light, and we even saw a family of monkeys out for their morning bath on the rocks.

It was a fantastic trip, one we are really glad we decided to do in the end. From Phang Nga its a day or two on buses as we make our way South and into Malaysia.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb