Just Like One Of The Family..


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand
June 19th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone. Hope you are all well.
On Friday morning we left Nan at 7.45 am and ended up at Udon Thani at 11.30pm where we were told that there were no more buses to Nong Khai where we had arranged to meet Som (Yvonnes Dad) at 12am. We tried ringing him but the phone number did not work and so we got a tuk tuk to an internet cafe and emailed Yvonne who luckily replied quickly saying that her dad would pick us up there which was great. Despite a fall out with the tuk tuk driver over fees and a Fred Elliot lookalike and his thai bride kindly sorting it out, we finally found Som. Although it was very early in the morning - Som, his wife and her son all came out to greet us (in their big flash pick up truck with dvd screens inside) which was very kind. When we arrived at their house, she laid on a big spread of food for us. As you as you ate anything she would top it up so there was an endless flow of food. We tried the infamous dragon fruit which was nice and fruit in spikey shells etc.

The next day we went to a chinese market and saw the Mekong River which was great. We then went to a Thai/Japanese restaurant (see picture) where we ate many things which we didnt want to know what they were (e.g squid & duck). But we were not brave enough for the octopus! We then went to Tescos! In the evening we went to eat again along the Mekong River (Chinese Chicken and Green Curry) followed by Pepsi's at a Thai Country Bar with great live music and a huge screen with a world cup match on (Portugal won).

Yesterday we spent all morning playing card games with the son who won them all! (Wink Wink). We then had an all day barbeque with Som's family who all tried very hard to speak English. They had much fun saying our names too which was sweet. We again tried some more food (King prawns, pork ribs, sticky rice etc). Then we went to some temples with the women and children which was nice followed by another meal! Despite being full up from the Barbeque only a few hours before we tired our best to gulp down some Vietnameese food. We dont really know what we ate as the women spoke little english - but it looked like nothing we have ever eaten before! Mum you would be very proud indeed. We dont understand how they keep so thin and yet they eat so much! We then headed home passing a huge male mob at a house which we then found out we were going to. We were the guests of honour and we were pushed up to a raised platform on special chairs and we were passed a microphone to intoduce ourselfs in front of a good 25/30 people and everyone cheered and came and shook our hands. One by one everyone came up and had an individual photo with us on our camera!?!? We luckily managed to get out of the karaoke all evening but dancing was another matter!! We had to do Thai style dancing on the raised platform in front of everyone but thankfully Thai people tend not to be very good dancers and so even Bobby looked quite good!

Today we got up and Som's workforce of three were already busy working. The woman however does not get paid as much as the men and only receives 1.50 instead of 1.70 a day. We went and had a nice big meal (10/11am) in a near by restaurant. We went on Som's moped but because we are all quite heavy it wouldnt go very fast and it collapsed half way home! We therefore rented a car and Som dropped us off in Nong Khai town. It is Som's birthday today so we think there may be some more eating and partying in store for us tonight?!?

We think that Keiths comment is genious and needs to be applauded. So well done!
Yes Cousin John you know our secret! But as you can see we have hired a few extras this week.
We are glad that you (Grannie) had a great time in Scotland and yes Chiang Mai was lovely although slightly touristy now.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th June 2006

Food glorious food!
Glad you are sampling the local cuisine big time. Aren't you glad you have the expandable waist on your Jeans!! Tanya looks tanned. Glad to see lots of people in the photos at last!
20th June 2006

Better...
Much improved, but you are not fooling me, I recognise the staff of the Acme Scenery Co. and some of their children. Tell me, how did you persuade George and Harry to drag up? Good try tho'. Seven out of ten for effort.
20th June 2006

Slave Labour
Im going to have words with dad £1.50 and £1.70 a day???!!! and why is the woman getting paid less? They look like a rowdy bunch (the crowd in blue) Very nice of the people to worship you on stage! Has my dad got his pool built and up and running? It better be when I go!!! :)
20th June 2006

lots of happy smiley people
Yes, happy smiley people at home really enjoying the blog! (I love reading every one's comments by the way). Well despite the mega amounts of food I think you both look thinner? Great to see pix of Som and family; send best wishes and lots of thanks from me for looking after you so well. Love Mumsy xxxx
23rd June 2006

Love the dancing
Hello Bobby and Bob. Just caught up with your trip again and glad to see that you finally have photos with people in them. I suspect that Cuz john is right about your trip and you are really in the UK, where we are having great weather too!!!! I think that out of the 2 of you Bobby looks the better dancer, but what would an old and grey uncle know anyway. Adam had finished his exams and is off to Iceland for a college trip. Paul's last exam is today and then he is free. Well free until University starts in Sept. Keep up the good work and enjoy your trip. Uncle Richard
23rd June 2006

Thai Dancing Bobbies
Were you playing musical statues? The McAleer games travel the world! How does "sticky on the head" go down out there?
24th June 2006

Hiya peeps
Looked at all ur pics and messages. They r really interesting. I really like the elephant topiary ones, u r soooooooooo lucky being able to ride on that elephant I'm soooooooooooo jealous! My Mum says: have u woven ur rafia flip flops yet! U do know what rafia is, dont u! R there Gheckos in (which Country r u in?). I may be getting one for my birthday! Fingers crossed! A pic of one would be nice! Luv Susie :-) xxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb