Break for the border.......


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Chiang Khong
September 20th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Reclining Buddha...Reclining Buddha...Reclining Buddha...

In Thailand even their Gods take it easy!
Hello to all friends and family

Following a fairly uneventful / typical few days of touring through Northern Thailand with our travel group (a nice mixture of people from around the globe), we woke to the news that we are currently travelling through a country that has just undergone a peaceful military coup. Bloody typical, they haven't had one for 15 years, then just as we're about to cross the border to Laos, the border closes. Apparently there is a fairly high likelihood we can pass through tomorrow (otherwise we'll have to turn back in-land and try alternative routes). So for tonght we are camping out in the border town (along with lots of other stranded tourists) and have decided to make the most of it and try the local beer (which is even cheaper than before).

But enough of miltary coups......on to more serious matter like what we have been up to for the last few days. We spent some time in Bangkok which was really interesting but equally slightly too western for us (not much of the real Thai experience). Although as our hotel was opposite a brothel it did give us one or two moments of humour. WE did tour the sites (you can see the pictures) and then had the expereince of gettng the night train to Chiang Mai. We weren't really sure what to expect on the train and were pleasantly surprised. Bascially we were on a long carraige and each side of the carriage was changed into bunk beds with individual screens, like setting up your own one man tent on the waterloo line. In Chiang Mai we had a day of more temples so we have now reached saturation point with temples.

Anyway we better run as we need to find out more info on whether we can get across the border tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

Love
Ralph & Jo


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Temples, temples and more temples...Temples, temples and more temples...
Temples, temples and more temples...

very ornate and pretty.....although you've seen one you've seen them all


20th September 2006

Camping on the Waterloo line
Looks a lot nicer than the Waterloo line....
20th September 2006

Hello
Glad you are OK and still having a good time. All going well here xx
25th September 2006

Safety first
Please let us know that you managed to get into Laos OK - have been wondering how you have been going the last week or so
2nd October 2006

We're doing fine, thanks for checking in
Hi Ceinwen Jo and I are doing fine (sorry that we haven't finished our next blog to update everyone). We're actually in Sidney as we write, having landed in yesterday morning to great weather and Western accomodation (a major relief after some of the Laos "experiences"). How are you both? Hopefully all is well and the house is behaving, so to speak! Love Ralph and Jo
2nd October 2006

Greetings
Just been looking at your blog - sounds like you've had a great time so far what with riding ladyboys and singing with elephants........... I'm sure you'll have a great time in Oz - having been there for the first time in Feb, I can recommend getting round Sydney via the harbour taxis - the only way to see the sites. The Aquarium is very impressive especially the massive tank that you walk under to view the sharks swimming above you. Watch out for stingrays though - dangerous little critters apparently. Try getting to Newcastle to do the wine route (does Jo still drink that stuff??!!) and check the seas for jellyfish. The bluebottles just give you a sting but there's a little Japanese sounding one the size of a fingernail that kills you! It might be out of season now but I had to wear an all-in-one body suit - hey - stop that Ralph - you're not back with the ladyboys now you know.........

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb