Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
June 15th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After another long 6hr coach journey we arrived in Sukhothai. Sukhothai is divided into two cities, the old and the new the later is where we were staying in a really nice GH run by a family man who on our first night gave us the best corn on the cob ever!!!!

Our first evening we walked to the high street and grabbed dinner in 'Poo Restaurant' suprisingly it was nice haha! I ventured out and got a Tofu Noodle Soup and Jord tried a Red Thai Curry. The food portions out here aren't big enough for Jord but we usually manage as he has all my scraps 😊 The alley connecting our GH to the main street is filled at night with loads of dogs and as we walked down they would follow at our heels, barking, which at first was a tad scary but they weren't viscious just inquisitive.

The next day pretty much as soon as we'd agreed to chill out for the day we changed our minds and hired mopeds. Old Sukhothai is 12km from the new city but you have to pay to visit all the temples so instead we made our way to one of the national parks to visit a waterfall. It was a long hot ride and we weren't sure if we were heading the right way. Stopping for directions proved pointless though, even with my fantastic drawing of a waterfall, the locals had no idea what we were after.

Eventually we found it, our ride had taken us 60km away from town and right into rural Thailand. It was the first place we'd encountered were we really felt like we were in the real Thailand rather then a tourist destination. The rice paddies are the brightest green and with the tree covered mountains as the background it was so nice. To get to the waterfall we set out on what turned out to be a bit of a hike (in flipflops it was quite a struggle) and by the time we'd reached the top we were both a bit shaky and absolutley soaked in sweat, however we were the only people there and it was well worth the trip.

The bugs sent us on our way back pretty sharpish and we drove to Old Sukhothai were there was a big market on. We were the only westerners in sight and we stood out like sore thumbs. Jordan especially with his height. By the time we got home it was all we could do to make it out to eat, pack and then get to bed before our trip to Chaing Mai in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The market The market
The market

Wheres wally?!


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb