Bangkok: Vibrant and Full of Life


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 13th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our sweet balconyOur sweet balconyOur sweet balcony

After twenty seven hours in transit, we finally arrived at our destination in Bangkok. The first thing we did was grab a beer and raise a toast to the beginning of the adventure, while breathing in the warm humid air of a Bangkok night and listening to the live music from the street below. We made it!
After being in transit for twenty seven hours, it was a nice surprise to find that the hotel we had booked, while being in the heart of old Bangkok with its very lively night scene, also provided quiet refuge so that we could spend the first few days of our trip recouping from jet lag and getting used to the warm, humid, plus 27 degree temperature - a welcome change, after our Sask / Arctic send off. The first thing we did when we got to our hotel room was had a beer on our deck and enjoyed listening to the live music from the street below, before closing the door to indulge in a long inviting rest in a real bed. Highly appreciated after being condensed in airplane seats, trying vainly to sleep, for so many hours.

When we did eventually get out and begin to explore Bangkok the following evening, we were reminded of all the reasons we loved Bangkok the last time we visited. Bangkok is vibrant; it's energy evident in so many forms. The city wakes up at dawn, with vendors opening their shops and setting up on the sidewalks for another day of sales that
Street music Street music Street music

We listened to the music from this bar every night.
don't shut down until late evening. The smells of food cooking, the constant sales pitches of merchandise vendors, the cacophony of tuk tuks honking horns and overall traffic madness, all provide a perfect backdrop for Bangkok's best pastime - that being people watching. Diversity abounds; anything goes. And running throughout all of this, like an underlying theme, is the love of live music that the Thai people have, in particular American classic seventies folk / soft rock, and jazz. It is everywhere, and it is always live. How can you not love this?

When the vendors finally close up their shops in the late evening, and the music ends around midnight, the city becomes quiet. Then the street cleaners come around and clean up the rubble from the day, getting everything set to start again in a few short hours. That is Bangkok: vibrant and full of life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Our breakfast tableOur breakfast table
Our breakfast table

Not a bad way to start the day. This was our starting point every day, with a full on brunch.
New Siam Breakfast New Siam Breakfast
New Siam Breakfast

This was where we started our days, indulging in an all you can eat breakfast of Thai and Western food, ovrerlooking the river and watching it come to life.
More live jazzMore live jazz
More live jazz

One of our morning views was this boat going by with this wicked jazz soundtrack coming off it. Except when we looked a little closer, we realized it was no sound track. That's a guy playing the sax on the front. No question. The Thai love live music.
Cool restaurant barCool restaurant bar
Cool restaurant bar

Just a sample of the creativity found here.
Bangkok Pretty BoysBangkok Pretty Boys
Bangkok Pretty Boys

They absolutely loved it when I asked if I could take their photo. They were such fun.
Bangkok Night LifeBangkok Night Life
Bangkok Night Life

So much to see, do, eat, drink, and plenty of people watching to keep you entertained.
Fish spa prepFish spa prep
Fish spa prep

This was going to be another first . . .
Yes those are my feetYes those are my feet
Yes those are my feet

I'm not gonna lie, it was a little trippy at first. Had to dispell images of a bunch of anything chewing at me.
Fish spa funFish spa fun
Fish spa fun

Okay, it was totally fun, after I got over the creepies. And my legs came out oh so baby bum smooth.
Stan's Birthday TreatsStan's Birthday Treats
Stan's Birthday Treats

Okay, he isn't exactly in this picture, but for his birthday, he took in a Thal massage, watched me freak with the fish spa, and enjoyed a night on the town in Bangkok. Not bad.


2nd March 2013

Okay, that looks just plain tickley!
2nd March 2013

Was he afraid of fishies?

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb