Return to Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 20th 2017
Published: January 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

So now we have are back in Thailand, but in the south. 5 nights in Bangkok and then on to Koh Samui (island) -- come on guys - get the atlas out (or Google it) - south of Bangkok in the Gulf of Thailand. The bus journey was eventful again. We had one Cambodian woman and her son/grandson together with 3 live chickens in a plastic shopping bag, and a large white sack which kept moving around. Curiosity got the better of us after a while and we had to ask what was in the white bag - she opened it to reveal 3 large frogs! Such is life here. The bus ride didn't take too long, but the Thai passport control had us queueing for about 2 1/2 hrs in a snaking line with all our luggage. We were then bundled into a tuk-tuk to rejoin our bus.

We are staying In a 'hotel' just off the Khaosan Road, which for those people who have visited Bangkok will know it is the backpacker bar/street food centre of the city. Each bar seems to compete with the next for volume, and they are interspersed with massage parlours where you can lie back and have a foot massage on recliners on the pavement. Still it goes quiet by about 3am!

Took a day trip to the Bridge Over the River Kwai. We visited the museum which had some of the original bamboo bridge and various other artefacts. We then had the chance to walk over the most recent bridge. There have been 3 bridges at this point, two having been destroyed with enormous loss of life. We were also taken to ride on the track further up along what was called the Death Railway. The wooden carriages rattled along the track between a rock face and a sheer drop to the river. It took 17 days to build this part of the line between Thailand and Burma, with the loss of 17000 lives, and when you realise the conditions, both physical and mental, of these conscripts and prisoners of war it is very thought provoking. Afterwards we went to the War Cemetery where again it was bought into focus the number of young lives lost during the conflict. It really is a must-see if you are in this part of Thailand, if only to pay respect to those who gave their lives.

And now a few nights in Koh Samui - a night bus ride from Bangkok (and half the day as well). What a contrast. Lovely white sandy beaches and crashing waves. Still lots of bars and loud music but the hotel is tucked away between bars and shopping mall so convenient for all ages! If you aren't a party animal then there isn't a lot to do but the local cinema shows English language films and we have been to see La La Land and also Arrival. Both good films in my book. Ready for another long day to Malaysia (Georgetown on Penang).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb