Six nights in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 11th 2017
Published: January 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well the border crossing from Vietnam to Cambodia was very smooth. In fact there was no queueing and we actually had our visas processed while we were having lunch in a nearby cafe! $30 plus $5 admin fee to the coach company who organised it.



Phnom Penh was the centre of the atrocities perpetrated by Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. In 1976, the Khmer Rouge renamed Tuol Svay Pray high school in Phnom Penh to S-21 and turned it into a torture, interrogation and execution center. Of the 14,000 people known to have entered between 1976 and 1979 only seven survived Even more awful was the way that this was covered up and hidden from the world, and the fact that not only was this in my lifetime, but during my children's lifetime. Will we never learn? I visited S21 but made a decision not to visit the Killing Fields.



Another bus journey has taken us to Siem Reap where we did a tuk tuk tour of Angkor Wat and some of the other associated temples in the complex. The actual temple of Angkor Wat was amazing and definitely a 'must see' but it was so busy with tourists. Once you moved on to the other temples then the crowds thinned out and some of them we had almost to ourselves. The forests have invaded some of the ruins, and there are massive trees towering overhead, and roots spreading their fingers among the stones. We watched the sunset from the top of one of the stupas, again with crowds of people, but still a lovely sight.



Tomorrow we leave early to travel back to Thailand and 5 nights in Bangkok. Just a footnote for those of you freezing in the UK - it is early afternoon and 31 deg here but it is ok - the air conditioning works!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



13th January 2017

weather
Thank you so much for the warm weather report. I am looking out at first snow fall for this year and possibly last year .

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb