H15 Your way to Bangkok Survival Guide


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 4th 2014
Published: November 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

BANGKOK

Stepping into the suffocating heat is a wake up call as we get off the plane after 7 hours from Qatar, the flight was great but after no sleep and 3 different time zones we are starting to need a well deserved rest. Bangkok is the wrong place for they ideas, the ques for immigration were huge and we got our first insight into the Thai way, slowly but surely does it. Patience is going to be the new best friend on this trip, im already getting my head tuned in to accept we have no rush this trip, no 14 day period to have done whats needed and get return leg journey home, this is time exploring the mind and the countries.



The Limo (arranged cheaply through Hotel Icon - yes, the backpacking way is tough bahaha) picked us from exit 3 and I was already too tired to communicate and it was Pati who guided us through with no problems. I was starting to turn into a vegetable and side track around rather that doing what was needed, and that is always getting Pati's cigarette at all costs. The traffic jam all the way into Bangkok "The land of opportunity" was like being stuck in a hearse on a techno come down from hell all the way to Sukhumvit Rd and a 4 hour wait till we could check in Arrrgggg. Vedgin on the poolside was torture but we curled up and forced some patience into the situation and the stunning skyline tower block reminded us that a little pain was worth every eye popping dis-comfort. The Buddha god was on our side though because within no time we were falling onto a huge bed that was our sanctuary for the day and the next vision would be the darkness on the streets of Bangkok. Oh Yeah!!



The fancy-full fascination of concrete chaos with a drag nana surprise was waiting on our doorstep as we walked from Hotel to ladyboy alley within a nervous heart beat, the streets were vibrant with Thai's finishing work and returning home after many hours of heat soaked labor and amongst them the vampires were adjusting their night vision to prey on week targets so they can get quick cash from cheap thrills. The atmosphere was like most big cities but something strange was in the air, the scary look and dark alleys were still there but an over all sense of security was present and took some understanding, although there was all this sinister behavior going on around you, people were friendly, not pushing just trying to sell their product and go about their day. DVD, clothes, jewelery, sex, food, booze, gadgets, insects, hand made items and knock offs all being offered but nothing pushed, it was a great feeling to be in this grey structured maze with sights and sounds at every angle but to be here and feel almost at ease with Bangkok, it was like the city and the people were not just trying to fleece you, they would take your money but also keep an eye out for you so you come to no harm either. This was a huge relief as even there were reminders of Marrakesh religion, Shanghai nutters, Granton Square Gadgies, London town hoods and poverty stricken homelessness, the city welcomed us and turned the next 3 days into a fascinating dream with chicken and pork breakfasts, Golden Mountains, curious photo chances and westernized fast food, the desire to be away from the McDonald/Burger King spoils was needed and we were already fixed on thoughts of sandy beaches and relaxed days.



Only sleeping well during the day gave us a few hours of deep sleep and the struggle to reverse the sleeping pattern was tough and still is even after 6 nights. Walking along Sukhumvit Road you will see all walks of life and all types of shops ranging from del boys deals out of a van, endless stalls, high end Gucci shops and a shopping malls with trippy escalators as they reach from heaven to hell and every range and size in between. Rank coconut monster ice and gruff speaking night prowlers make you think of the difference between Co'path and this different way of life but what pity must fall on the creeps that pay for the time of a deranged body that makes Bangkok famous for the wrong reasons?



The best thing we done is to knock back tours and jump on the train system and pick a point and explore, take a map to guide us in the correct direction and walk till your hungry or want to see a point of interest, cabs are backed up all the way along the roads and to be on foot gives a feeling of the huge vastness of Bangkok. It feels more real doing things yourself rather than being baby sat but sometimes down the wrong street it does feel like you have bitten off more than most can chew, take time to chill and usually the wrong street will have a sudden surprise like a huge snake out for a walk with an owner or a one legged skateboarder that builds to the neon image of this beautiful country.



Finding great places to eat is harder than it seams in a large city like this as we are westerners out at SEA wanting to experience Thai cooking and the dangerous but tasty spices. As you walk from street to street we talk about how tarnished the place is with McD's, BK's, Subways, KFC etc .... Finding some great street food and the right level of cleanliness is tricky to start with but if you practice walking away from viewing the menu and checking out the tables, floors, kitchen and chef whilst trying to look at a hundred different meals on minging plasticized sheets becomes easier with more practice. Its time to loose a certain level of politeness and join the rat race and show the size of your teeth with an over exaggerated smile! The smile becomes natural after a day or two but you still have to calm though vigilant when you can see hushed words being said and potential traps being set with tuk tuks and cabs. Some could be paranoia, creative thoughts or just a coincidence so take care when people are forceful when offering drinks and always be quick on your feet and ready to smile and back away at short notice giving of a nice glow from your body language but also every one understanding to back off or else, remember Thailand always wins, just like a casino, this place is here to stay and we are the visitor in this tourist fly trap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb