Bangkok experiences


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 29th 2013
Published: June 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Since our adjusting to the climate is taking longer then expected, we decided yesterday that seeing the sites needed to be done in baby steps...so, yesterdays one and only target was grand palace.

First however, we needed to new digs. guesthouse on khao san road was a brave choice we knew this from the off but had to be done. A late morning departure meant that our first on foot journey with all belongings was done at nearly the hottest part of the day. Coupled with climbing several guest house stairs to view rooms and negotiating street carts, taxis and tuk tuks, which seem to have a habit of crawling behind pedestrians at an eeriely slow pace, we were completely beat by the time crashed into our room - this time with fan rather than a/c - another brave move.

Then the walk to the grand palace. Now travelling with just a day bag, this was not so bad provided we kept beneath the shade of trees wherever possible. clearly a very impressive site we were uncertain if our decision to not go in would be regretful but decided that enjoying Bangkok's swarming atmosphere from the street was more our thing than paying entrance fees for tourist attractions.

The walk back was interesting, we must have walked a dozen roads and streets and didn't come across two that seemed to have the same function in making the city what is.

A fresh coconut to drink and street vendor spring rolls to tie us over and it was nap time.

In the evening we ate restaurant food for the first time. 2 mains, rice and beers for b500 (£10). Flavours were even better than expected. Beers, acoustic guitar and sharing a scorpion (an actual scorpion) with the guys at the next table wrapped up the night except for listening to the famous party of khao san until 2am from our room.

Today's misssion was to nail the travel plans out of here and the combination of waking up in what felt like greenhouse (room facing the sun rise) along with weather forecasts of 39 deg we were more than incentivised. We backpacked to original guest house and after some malaria tablet reaction sickness (not supposed to take on empty stomach we realised) we looked at options and quotes for transport we bought night train tickets to
Khao SanKhao SanKhao San

Before the party started - view from room.
chang mai for tuesday along with mini bus tickets for floating market tomorrow. Beer and watching lions rugby was an appropriate reward for our efforts and provided some distraction from a series of mosquito bites I have already been subject to... yes in Bangkok - what can i say they hunt me down!

Our earlier conversation with a bored tour operator in our guest house provided us with the thai names of two new dishes try. Math's Thai green curry was searingly hot even for us chilli lovers but amazing non the less. My tom yam kung was equally good - i shall be having this again.

7am pick up for tomorrows trip - day bag ready, blog up to date - bed time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb