Manchester to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 26th 2013
Published: June 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tired is the word of the day. Up at 3.30am, Flights were good and food amazing albeit a bit chickeny. BA flight up to expectations, jet airways to mumbai was great -huge plane, lots of food and tv's - managed to watch new die hard plus pride and prejudice, math was on big bang theory most of the way. Jet airways to bangkok was a more 'rustic' plane but despite stress of mumbai airport we did sleep for an hour with the help of a tiger beer. Arrived at 7am, taxi to guesthouse in New siam square arrived at 9.30. Asleep by 10am.



Got our bags now - delivered to the guesthouse around 10pm. We eventually convinced them that there should no delivery charge. We were told in Manchester that bags were tags to mumbai for automatic transfer through at London but that we would have to collect and 're check-in at mumbai. Problem was, at mumbai they wouldn't let us through immigration, which was before baggage collection, with no visa. Everyone kept telling us they were automatically done but we knew they weren't and after a row with security too which resulted in me leaving my jumper behind we were late for plan and finally got escorted on where they finally conceded that bags weren't on the flight but would be put on next one.



On the plus side my bag is even lighter now with no jumper which I certainly won't be needing here, the heat is immense and we haven't even seen the sun yet. Apart from a few phone calls with the airport and my very short walk down the street, we didn't leave our room until 7pm. Had a large beer at the place opposite for TBT 170 each then after a brief walk stopped at street vendor for pad thai. 2 portions @ TBT 50 each, spring rolls 25, Orange juice 30. Math had a large beer for 80 from converted vw camper showing Wimbledon on tv in the boot and we sat to eat. Food was amazing but I struggled to eat all in the heat. Math did not!



Bit more sleep then before bags arrived and sleep after too but now 2.30am and wide awake. Not to worry, time to start my blog.



X

Advertisement



29th June 2013

Bags
Glad you got bags ok but sounded really frustrating at Mumbai airport -- you will need 6 months away to get used to the heat .. trust Math to eat his full meal still inspite of heat :-)
19th July 2013

Discovered your blog today
Looking forward to following your adventure.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb