Wat Pho, Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, Phra Pathom Chedi, Maeklong Railway Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 3rd 2003
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Near Bangkok, there are other interesting places worth a visit.

In the huge canal system surrounding Bangkok, there are several floating markets. We visited one of them, namely Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. When you see pictures of these markets on the internet, you usually see the wooden canoes filled with multicoloured fruits and vegetables, and the Thai women wearing straw hats. All this was nice to see, but I also remember seeing lots of tourists (including me of course ;-) touring at the canals. Some canoes didn't sell any fruit like in the old days, but sold souvenirs instead. So I fear a little bit the disappearance of the original character of this...

Wat Pho is the oldest and largest wát in Bangkok, featuring the largest reclining Buddha (46m long, 15m high). It is also the national headquarters for traditional Thai medicine, including Thai massage. During our trip to Thailand we had a Thai massage, which was really relaxing. Funny about this was the fact that the masseusse of my wife was very positive about her son ("not married yet"), until she realized that we were a couple.

Another thing I've never seen before was the Maeklong Railway
What PhoWhat PhoWhat Pho

Bangkok
market. The market is centered around the track of the railway. When the train approaches, the shopfronts are moved back from the rails and afterwards put back.

The Phra Pathom Chedi is the tallest Buddhist monument in the world, 127m high.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

What PhoWhat Pho
What Pho

Bangkok


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb