The Finer Things


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 26th 2010
Published: September 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sawasdee Bangkok



Thought I would get started on the next instalment as we are in the van on the way back from Dreamworld.
I had intended on getting everything up to date last night but I think the cocktails and whiskey were making time move faster.

Our first full day in Bangkok started with a leisurely breakfast after waking up earlier than we wanted to.
After breakfast we headed back to the room and grabbed some of our essential items (medications) before going down to the executive lounge for the first time (we are on the 23rd floor and the lounge is on the 22nd floor) see the pics in the previous entry for a better idea but essentially it is a good little area to relax have a coffee and/or do some work.

We had been planning on going to Siam Paragon later in the evening to see Resident Evil Afterlife in the premium cinema (Dendy cinemas have nothing on this place) but after talking to the executive receptionist we worked out the only session was at 1240 so after another cappucino we grabbed our stuff from the room and headed off to the station to catch the sky train (if you are going to use the train more than once during your time in Bangkok then I would suggest buying a Sky train pass it costs about 130 baht and is reusable valid for 5 years from the time of it's first use and you just top it up with 100-2000baht) over to Siam Paragon, I know it is only one stop but when it is around 33 degrees with 98% humidity you try and conserve energy by moving as little as possible.

We made our way up to the 5th floor where the cinema is located and was taken by suprise at just how enormous this place is, there are several cinemas of varying degrees of indulgence from normal through to are you sure this is a cinema ? We chose the are you sure this is a cinema Enigma theatre option which is far and above the dendy cinemas premium option in Australia and costs 3000 baht for two people (around $100 Australian) to put that into perspective the last time we went to Dendy it cost about $160 with food and soft drink and was just over $70 for the movie alone, the price of the Enigma theatre here in Bangkok included beer, spirits or cocktails x 1 per person, we went for a Mai Tai & a Blue Hawaiian 1 x choice of a hot dish, we chose the Pork Larb in cucumber cups & pork spring rolls and then there was unlimited popcorn and soft drink served to you throughout the movie. The usual seating for premium movie deals in Australia are reclining arm chairs but here you are seated on a massive day bed for two with cushions and blankets that you just kind of melt into. (see the photos although they really don't do it justice, I really should remember to take my camera everywhere). I highly suggest going to see the movie if you are a fan of the Resident Evil franchise.

After the movie was finished we headed back to the hotel via MBK shpping centre to grab Colli a new pair of sunnies as she had somehow managed to lose them in transit (we found out later she had left them in the car when we were dropped off at Canberra airport). We made it back to the hotel in time to have a shower before heading to the executive lounge for Drinks and Canapes before heading upstairs to the Roof Restaurant for dinner the atmosphere and food were fantastic, we had a Fondue Bourgingon for two with a baked potato, french fries and garlic bread on the side and for desert a sample platter for two with creme brule, apple tart and passion fruit parfet.

After dinner we headed out for a massage to complete a very indulgent and relaxing first day in Bangkok.

Day 2



Saturday morning and it was time for our first scheduled tour to Dreamworld, a little known amusement park on the outskirts of Bangkok. With pick up at 9am we had breakfast just after 8am then waited for our driver. About an hour later we arrived and were taken into the pre booked ticket office to pick up and pay for our tickets. It was typical of any park you would find anywhere around the world with plenty of rides and other attractions to keep you entertained and some spectacular gardens. It was certainly a different way to spend a day in Bangkok although it was a very long day out and Colli is paying the price for all the walking and sun.

We made it back to the hotel and headed to the lounge for another round of drinks and canapes then headed down to the lobby bar for some light dinner and to listen to our favorite singing duo. Then we headed off for a massage to finish the day before getting some much needed rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb