Dispatches from the "War Zone"


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 15th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Evening all,

Greetings from Bangkok, formerly the "Land of Smiles", now "War Zone" as the caption on BBC world says. It's bad. But it's not all that bad. Sure, we have been hearing the crack of gunshots and the occasional grenade from our apartment and there is currently a road block outside our apartment but, we're quite safe up here - Lucy's reading her book in the bath, I've just watched qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix and am just waiting for the FA Cup Final to come on the telly. No doubt Portsmouth will get stuffed.

Bangkok is a strange place right now. It all kicked off on thursday when one of the leaders of the protests was alledgedly shot by a sniper. Since then, there have been lots of little battles all around the perimeter of the camp. Things seems to have got a lot worse in the past 2 days and there are more roads closed and a greater sense of tension than ever before. We haven't seen or been caught up in anything. In fact, today, despite BBC and CNN being full of doom and stories about the "warzone", I have been off to Chatachuck market and Khoa San Road to do some pre-Vietnam shopping. Lucy has made the most of it and laid by the pool. It's noticeably different here though - even Chatachuck market wasn't as packed as it usually is. Having said that, in the areas away from the protests, life is pretty normal, if a little quiet.

I've been at work all week, apart from friday when I finished "early" - at 5.30pm. Lucy had friday off and to be honest, we're hoping that we'll both have Monday off too! That will give us a few more days to tick off some of the things we want to see before I am off - it's only 2 weeks now until I move to Vietnam, Lucy will stay for another 5 weeks as she wants to see out her contract at the school, but I have reached my 4 month limit. Of course it won't be great being apart for a while, but we have come to know that time passes very quickly. Can't believe it's almost 4 months already. And for all you who didn't know, my contract has been extended by another 6 months so it ends now in July 2011, in-line with Lucy's school year and then I reckon we'll be homeward bound.

Life here as been a bit slower since Matt was with us and certainly easier on the liver. We've not been too far to be honest - seems easier to stay local at the moment but I think we're close to sampling all of the restaurants we want to go to in the local area. We spent some nice time last weekend doing cultural stuff, I'll let Lucy talk about that though as I'm missing the footy.

Hi, I try not to ramble on for too long for a change. We've become somewhat prisoners to the pool/air-con at weekends recently as it is just far too HOT to do anything in the daytime sun, it's a tough life I know. So on the whole, we've been out doing stuff from 4pm onwards. Strolled around the lovely Golden Mount temple, looks like a great big golden poo on a mound and has a fab view and BREEZE! I managed to inadvertently take possibly the photo of the trip so far... Check out the picture of some teenage monks playing with some viewfinder binoculars at the temple. Yes blue sky and beautiful backdrop, in contrast to the white and gold of the temple, then look a little more closely at the boy in front of the lense... I won't spoil it for you, you'll just have to look! Wandered down to the Giant Swing where up to the 1930's men would sit and while swinging really high would catch bags of money in their teeth - a strange and deadly tradition that was consequently banned.

As Chris said, we've been sampling lots of yummy food and having a quiet life for a bit whilst the political situation is messy. Reading lots of books and watching some dodgy (fake!) DVD's. I'm still really enjoying my new school, the kids are good fun as too are the staff. Also looking forward to the upcoming celebrations for Chris 30th.

There's 30 photos on here again so you have to scroll down and turn over....

Take care and lots of love to you all, Lucy and Chris x x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



15th May 2010

I enjoyed your Bangkok post and photos, especially that incredible shot of Wat Arun! That has to be the greatest photo I've seen of that, my favorite, temple! My blog is looking for travel photos, reviews (like how the situation is there right now), etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email us at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. We're actually giving away a free night in Peru or Bolivia right now, if you know anyone traveling there. Continued fun on your travels! Heather :)
16th May 2010

What's in the bag?
Great photos as always but one foxed me - what was in the bag titled 'Cool refreshment' - I first thought of some jellyfied fish stuff!! but then went on further and there it was 'Cola in a bag' - never seen that before and may even try it on the grandchildren!! Thanks for letting us know that you are safe even if very close to the 'war zone' - didn't see you on the news and for once I watched all the way through. Family this end all well and in OZ waiting for Friday 21st which is B'day for twins - cannot wait its sooooo exciting. Thanks again for keep us up to date - it really sounds exciting if a little scary at times. Take care and Love to both Auntie Janicexxx
2nd June 2010

Hi
i just read your blog..and i hope that you had a great time in Thailand (in BKKalso,i hope) and yeah i am so sad about the protest and wanna say sorry for that it was not good for you and my country also,i hope you were enjoy in that time even we are face to the hard time in political situation.. i hope that if you have a time pls come back to Thailand : ) Enjoy your trip, life is an amazing jurney!!

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb