A Lazy Day


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 22nd 2010
Published: March 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After our arduous journey yesterday we took the opportunity to sleep in before enjoying a leisurely breakfast. Our plan to go to the temple was foiled by numerous tuk-tuk drivers telling us that it's a Buddhist holiday and they couldn't take us. Most likely not a true story, but it was hot and we were tired and just didn't care enough to pursue it.

After wasting the morning, we enjoyed lunch before taking a cab across town to where the expats live. Julie's family friend had lived here last year and she really liked the neighborhood. But it was almost twice as expensive as where we're actually staying, so we vetoed it due to the cost.

We went to the movies and wandered around the city a bit. The stands were being set up for night business on the sidewalk and it was interesting to view their wares. My favorite: knock-off Viagra and friends in boxes that didn't quite close all the way. There's something to buy and put in your body! We wondered what it would be like to live in the neighborhood, or Bangkok in general. I don't think we reached any conclusions.

We had dinner
The musicThe musicThe music

She's a student from the University
at a restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms. The restaurant's proceeds all go to a nonprofit organization that promotes sex education and AIDS prevention programs. After you finish your amazing dinner you are given condoms with your check instead of after-dinner mints. It was fun to walk around and look at the statues in full-condom garb and interesting to read the posters about trends in Asia regarding the difference sex-ed can make and which countries worldwide to what.... and don't do what.

It was then back to our little corner of Bangkok for spring rolls and beer. The perfect way to cap off our last night!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A Christmas tree?A Christmas tree?
A Christmas tree?

Look closer!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb