First arrival to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 9th 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

BangkokBangkokBangkok

Bangkok's streets were busy, but were happy to be there!
After a night of pretty good sleep (for me) and okay sleep (for Martin), we arrived in Bangkok around 6:30am. We were quickly able to get into a metered taxi and were on our way to our hotel for the evening, New World Lodge/City Hotel near Khao San Rd, the huge backpackers area of Bangkok.

We'd decided to stay at a nicer place for the evening so that we knew our vouchers for the trip to Chiang Mai would be safe, as the company sent it to our Bangkok hotel about a week before we arrived there. A hostel probably would have been fine, but we wanted to make sure.

It turned out to be great, because we were able to check in right when we arrived shortly after 7am, and promptly fell asleep for another 2ish hours. I guess we were still tired!

We headed out around 11 to get brunch/lunch at a nearby cafe and then ended up spending some time at an internet cafe next door. We realized later in the day that we could purchase 24 hour access to internet at our hotel for only 3USD, though, so did that. 😊

After eating,
RiverRiverRiver

a river next to our hotel which is the big white building to the left.
we basically spent the rest of the day relaxing in the hotel and walking around the nearby streets of Bangkok. Feeling sort of 'templed out', we didn't go out to explore the Wats of Bangkok. Probably something we should have done, but the heat didn't encourage us to venture out any further.

Our favorite moment of the day was getting pad thai and veggie spring rolls from street vendors and just sitting at a little table on the sidewalk enjoying some cheap draft beer. Khao San Rd is famous as being the 'backpackers ghetto', which almost every major SE Asian city has as well. It's pedestrian and taxi/tuk tuk only and just lined with vendor after vendor selling everything imaginable from food to little trinkets.

Off to bed for another day of exploring Bangkok before heading to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Thai Iced TeaThai Iced Tea
Thai Iced Tea

I've always loved Thai Iced Tea, so everywhere Martin could get it, he did.
Street FoodStreet Food
Street Food

We LOVE Phad Thai, and found it deliciously made on the street here with some equally wonderful spring rolls.
Backpackers AlleyBackpackers Alley
Backpackers Alley

A common street for foreigners, it offers loads of foods, souvenirs, and places to stay.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb