A million hours of flying.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 21st 2010
Published: January 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post










Well we made it. In a couple days i've gone from never having been on a plane, to never wanting to be on a plane again. But thats over, and i'm currently sitting in a nice restaurant/internet cafe, getting some repite from the head (i know, you all feel for me)

Big ups to morgan for giving us a lift to the airport at such an ungodly hour (5am)

The airports were all easy enough to get through, despite being gigantic and intimidating. Winnipeg was the only hassle, because of how the thai visa exemption works, they wanted to see proof of onward travel, so we booked a flight to phnom pehn on feb 4th. Which works out because we were going that way anyhow. Of course, when we got to bangkok, they didnt ask to see any proof we were leaving, alas, no harm done.

As soon as we stepped off the plane at suvarnabumi (or however you spell the airports name), the heat and humidty smacks you right in the face. Morgan said he threw up as soon as he landed here, and i can totally see why.

We arrived at 12 am local time and the airport was absolutely insane, I can only imagine what its like during the day.

Thanks to our guidebook we avoided the ripoff cabs at the airport and found one that gave us a flat rate of 500 baht to our guesthouse, not the best deal, but after 30+ hours of planes and airports, i wouldhave paid alot more.

We got our hostel in one piece and thankfully they honoured our e-mail reservation, our room isnt much more than a bed and a bathroom, but its air conditioned and clean and thats all we needed.

At about 7 this morning we got up and had a walk around the neighbourhood, we stopped for breakfast at aq nice little restaurant, I had a croissant sandwich and jenn had the pad thai, a couple of drinks and our bill came to all of 200 baht (about 5 dollars) I like this country.

We took a walk up the infamous kao san road, and i must say, its a lot shorter than i expected, but the backpackers district spills out into the surrounding streets, there are no shortage of little stands hawking different things, from clothes and jewlery to fruit and unrecognisable deep fried things.

If theres one thing that is going to drive me mad, its the constant streem of tuktuk drivers offering to take us to teh different tourist attractions around town. As soon as you tell one you dont want anything, the next one is already shaking your hand and trying to make friends. I'm gonna get to use the phrase "mai ow" alot in the next little while.

Anyhow, im getting hot and an a/c hostel room sounds about right for now, I miss all of you and will see you all soon enough. If you want to see all the pictures i've been taking go to http://picasaweb.google.com/CaryBilcowski/ and have a look see.

Sawadee kap for now.

Advertisement



22nd January 2010

wow, wow
Keep taking those pictures, They are amazing.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb