Bangkok a-go-go!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 7th 2006
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post


well here we are in Bangkok!!!

what a crazy town, I thourght my driving was bad but it's nothing compared to the scary streets of Bangkok where traffic dosn't seem to stop even when the light is red. Bangkok seems a vibrant place driven by tourism. a place where you see both extreme poverty and the rich living side by side in a steamy melting pot.

With thee hundred temples in Bangkok you don't have to walk far for temples and monuments to view. I think i was a bit templed out by the end of it, but still they were pretty amazing, alot of them seemed to be under repair, one temple we went to they were glueing every little stome to the wall by hand.

We did the tourist thing and rode on a few tuk tuk's (three wheeled taxi's) - one was a really nice bloke, chatted to us about his family and former jobs (diver off Koh Samui) and only took us to one tailor. Another was pretty dodggy, seemed as though we visited every tailor and 'jewellery' shop offering 'cheap' diamonds in Bangkok - we put that down to experience.

We also did a Boat tour where we witnessed some sword dancing and other tourist activities. Wasn't a bad way to also see the temples from the water. At night we visited a few markets, and the Baiyoke Hotel where they had an observation deck on the 83rd floor with a cocktail bar. Sat drinking a couple of Mai-tai's while taking in the view and listening to a small jazz band that was playing in the corner. Heaven.

It's only been two days here, but we did try the street food and enjoy the surroundings. Off to London for interviews and a couple of days rest. Missing you all, catch you soon

Ben and Stacey

PS When Meatloaf sang - I would do anything for love, but I won't do that! Doe anyone know What wouldn't he do?


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Victory MonumentVictory Monument
Victory Monument

We don't know how we got there, why we found or what it's used for, but this is it. Victory monument.
Bangkok Ballooning ExpeditionBangkok Ballooning Expedition
Bangkok Ballooning Expedition

Stacey seeks out the unknown, and a good sandwich
Baiyoke HotelBaiyoke Hotel
Baiyoke Hotel

From revolving viewing platform above observation deck with bar
Khao San RoadKhao San Road
Khao San Road

Lot's of touro's.


9th March 2006

Hello
Hi you two, have enjoyed looking at your photos. Noel says he doesn't want to go to Bankok. It is great to see your site and comments. Will save this as our home page. as your suggest. I am going to be late for work this morning. Lisa's 40th invitation turned up in the mail yesterday. It is on the 7th of April having tea at the gateway. Love from us all Ruth
10th March 2006

Hello, I am glad that you visit my country. Anyway, I beg to differ that Bangkok is not driven by tourism as many foreigners think. Instead the city is mostly driven by the 10 million or so Bangkokians doing their trade and industries. On the whole Thailand earns only about US$10 billion from tourism annually which account for 6 percent of GDP. This cannot compare with over US$100 billion she earned from exports. Our reasonably large industrial and agriculture bases are the real major sources of income. As a result, only a small fraction of Thai are employed in tourist business or make their living on dealing with tourists. This is contrary to another popular belief among travellers that every Thai seems to try to sell something to tourists. Thai people are very happy to have you as our guests and to provide you with value services and goods. Anyway, that does not mean that our country's well-being relies on foreign travellers' patronage. Enjoy your stay and travel safely!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb