A day in the old Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 24th 2005
Published: January 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We knew Thailand was going to be hot, but we didn't realise how difficult it is to do anything vaguely strenuous (e.g. walk more than 300m) between 10.30am and 3pm, until we decided to try a walking tour of the old Bangkok on our first day (33 degrees).

It was a great way to experience some of the 'real' Bangkok and its people. We walked along the Chao Praya river, past 'Phra Sumen' fort, through a uni campus and along many crowded streets full of shops and vendors selling an amazing array of product - from crunchy fried scorpions to what looked like used sets of false teeth, as well as facinating but largely unidentifiable foods. We eventually arrived at the 'Grand Palace' compound and were suddenly surrounded by a multitude of tourists (fresh and cool having just hoped off their air-con tour buses!), taxis, tuk-tuks and traffic. The Grand Palace was fabulous and we wandered around marvelling at the shimmering gold of the Chedi and other beautifully restored buildings. We were also fortunate to witness a Bhuddist service at 'Wat Phra Kaew' - temple of the Emerald Bhudda - this Bhudda which is actually carved out of jade is the Thais most revered object of worship and is accordingly housed in the grandest temple.

We recovered back at the Sawasdee Bangkok Inn's courtyard and spent the rest of the evening shopping and eating street food on the Khao San Road.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb