Highs and Lows of Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 21st 2008
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first trip to South East Asia has been amazing. We wanted to share some of the best and worst things we experienced.

Candace's List

Migraines on Planes - There is no getting away from anyone. I got one and it lasted the entire flight.

Airline Food - Tasteless mushy or rubbery substances. "Is that even real food?"

Late Night Hotel Hunting - Only a fool would not pre-book a place for the first night in BKK, right Jason?

Raw Bacon - It's not beef so please cook it.

Coffee In the Morning - The only way to start my morning. Even if it's freeze dried Nabob.

Banana Pancakes - Sweet goodness in every mouthful. Who thought that something so good could be cooked up on a street corner.

Unknown Meat Skewers - Street Vendor prepared and actually really tasty.

Stray Dogs - Lots of dogs everywhere. Kinda of sad!

Elephants - Realizing that they don't need to have the banana peeled to eat it.

Monkeys - Minus the hissing. I love Monkeys! Perhaps we can get one to keep!

The Weather - Its warm year round. Shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. How easy is that?

Cheap - Things are so reasonably priced. Its a shoppers paradise.

Speed Boats - Or at least having to ride in the bow of one on rough seas.



Jason's List

Air Travel - 6 movies, 4 sitcoms, one newscast, 5 cans of diet coke, 5 bottles of water, 2 noodle soups, 1 box of sandwiches, 2 breakfasts, one chicken lunch, one pork supper, 2 snacks of crackers, several free alcoholic bevvies, 1 Bangkok Post, 1 Hong Kong newspaper, 1 Globe and Mail, several bathroom breaks, 3 departures and 3 arrivals, customs, attendants, airports, one way. Willing to do it all over again if I ever get the chance go back to S.E.A.

Arriving - I love arriving! Weird yes but the thrill of being in the thick of things right off the bat, isn't this what travel is about? Being off kilter and figuring it all out as you go. I rule in these situations.

Mornings - Waking up in a new place and watching life unfold around you. Whether it's monks walking past with Alms bowls in hand or street vendors setting up for a busy morning, I love to watch the world wake up.

Bangkok - I was told you either love it or hate it. I love BKK. The city is hot, dirty, stinky (more on that later) and chaotic yet it has this vibe that I found entrancing. To see modern civilization next to ancient buildings was surreal and strangely humbling. I could spend a month in this city and still not have enough time to enjoy it.

The Smell - Thailand has a smell that can only be explained as one part sewer, one part rotting vegetation, one part sea and one part who knows what. At first it was over-powering and quite disgusting but each and every time we came back into a town or city, the smell became almost welcome. I, for some strange deep seeded reason, will miss that smell.

The People (locals and travelers) - Once again my eyes were opened to how basic life can be and how little one needs to function. People there have more faith and hope appearing more happier than most people I know. Perhaps we have it all wrong back home. The variety of people you meet is astounding. So many different views from around the world.

Tropical Life - The climate, the flora, the fauna. Its a complete 180 degrees from where we come from. I think I was made for this area.

Overall, we came, we saw, we enjoyed. We will always remember this trip and hope to one day come back to further explore the Land of Smiles.

Jason and Candace









Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb