6 weeks, 2 Countries, 9 Flights, 3 Overnight Trains, 6 Dodgy Buses, 60+ kilos of Luggage = Home Time!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 15th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After heading back to Bangkok early from Chiang Mai on the Overnight train, we headed to Khao San Rd to drop off our luggage at our friends Tong & Chang's shop for the day, and decided to get some last minute shopping done. By this stage we were feeling really crusty having not had a shower for 24 hours, and knowing that we wouldn't get a shower until later that night... We left our stuff with Chang and headed straight for Siam Paragon Shopping Centre. Last time we were in Bangkok we had wanted to visit the Aquarium that is in the basement of the shopping centre, but had run out of time, so this was on our 'to do' list before we left Thailand.

Siam Ocean World & Last Minute Shopping



For 850 baht we gained entry to Siam Ocean World, and also got a ride on a glass bottom boat, a free drink, and entry to a 4D movie called 'Dangerous Creatures' (or something along those lines!). As far as Aquariums go it was pretty good. There were lots of great displays and we even got our photo taken with a Boa Constrictor (and got to touch it... Ewwwww). There is one section of Ocean World where you walk down a big glass 'tube' like walkway so all the sharks, manta rays & fish are swimming all around you. That was pretty cool. The Glass Bottom Boat was slightly overrated *LOL*... makes me laugh when I think about it! And the 4D movie was hilarious. It only went for about 30 minutes but 4D means not only is it 3D (and a little scary) but the seats move, water spray hits you in the face (from the back of the seat in front of you) and you even get whipped on your legs from underneath your seat with some wirey thing! Hilarious!!!

After the movie, I made one last stop at Svensens for some Macadamia Nut Icecream (simply the best!) and then we caught the skytrain over to MBK shopping centre for some last minute stuff. By this stage I was so over shopping... which could have been due to us having not showered since the morning before and not getting enough sleep on the overnight train, but we quickly finished our shopping and then we headed back to Khao San Rd. We dropped our shopping off at Changs shop then went to do some final must do things in Thailand... we both got leg massages and pedicures, then we went in search of our favourite Pad Thai stall down Soi Rambuttri. Afterwards we met Tong and Chang at the shop. We were staying the night at Tongs house, and I was so excited to meet her little daughter Pear.

Overnight with Tong, Chang & Pear



We set off for their house (which is about 1-2hours outside of Bangkok). On the way we stopped at a small local restaurant for some dinner. It was one of the most amazing meals I have ever eaten! There was not a westerner in sight, and most of the Thai's eating there stared at us as we walked in! Tong and Chang ordered a feast for us... there was food everywhere! AND it was sooooo good... and soooo HOT!! I have never ever eaten such hot food. It was literally taking my breath away.... I had tears streaming down my face, I could hardly breathe and my stomach felt like it was on fire... but it was all soooo good! Tong was getting concerned trying to stop me eating it, but I was like "no no its honestly good" - I think they thought I was a little strange sitting there laughing and crying and insisting on eating it!! LOL Rinna doesn't like chilli so she stuck to some fried chicken wings and beer....

After dinner we went back to their place, which was totally gorgeous. They live in this gorgeous little suburb outside of Bangkok and it almost feels like you are at home. It was in a gated community with security guards, and all the houses were brand new. There was a gorgeous lake nearby and lots of park. Totally beautiful. I can see why Tong lives there and drives 2 hours to work each day. A real oasis. After having showers and trying to repack our bags we hung out with Tong and Chang, then called it a night.

The following morning, we were woken by Tong to come have breakfast. Again it was a totally traditional thai breakfast of boiled rice, and various hot dishes. All really yummy. After breakfast Tong, Chang and Pear drove us to the Airport. Once at the Airport Pear got all upset and started crying because we were leaving. It was so cute, but made me sad too... I hate goodbyes!!

It was so good to see Tong again, and to have the privilege of staying at her house. We were the first Westerners she has ever had stay over, so it was a real honour, and I couldn't thank them enough...

Once at the Airport we weighed out bags. I went into panic mode when I realised I had 28 kilos of luggage and it was something like $50 per kilo excess.... something I really couldnt afford. I tore all my bags apart and transferred as much heavy stuff as I could into my hand luggage. When we checked in I was half a kilo over and they didn't say anything thankfully. Rinna had the same weight but decided she would just pay the excess, however when she checked in they didn't charge her... so in the end I did all the panic and reorganisation for nothing! Doh!!

The flights home were pretty uneventful. We had a 4 hour stopover in Singapore so we indulged in hot chocolates at the Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe... so yummy but about $10
Siam Ocean World. 4D MovieSiam Ocean World. 4D MovieSiam Ocean World. 4D Movie

Don't we look sexy?!
for one hot chocolate!

Anyway that is it folks.... all done... thankyou for all the wonderful comments and messages we received. We had a ball, and it was good to get home.... Stay tuned in 2009 for my next trip, but right now I need to recover financially! LOL

Love Reet xxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Chang, Pear & Tong...Chang, Pear & Tong...
Chang, Pear & Tong...

This is the sweetest family you will ever meet..


12th April 2008

Excellent
Well done Reet, thank you for taking the time and effort to share your holiday with us. Will say hello to Tong for you on the 20th May.
12th April 2008

Thanks
Hi again, thanks so much , you have done another wonderful job!! I feel as if I have been on holiday too!!!! LindyX
12th April 2008

Hello Reet! Thank You soooooooooooo much for your wonderful journey! It has been a delight to "travel" with you and Rinna on your adventures! Welcome home and well done!! Cheers wendy
12th April 2008

Thanks for the ride
Hi Reet and Rinna, have loved every second reading you guys adventures. Thanks for the blogs I'm going to miss them....How cute is Pear :) Waiting for 2009.....
12th April 2008

Sorry it's the last one
Thanks Reet for sharing all your experiences with us and giving so much of your holiday time to update your blog and keep us all entertained for the last two months. Look forward to catching up with you soon. Luv Lee xx
13th April 2008

another great blog
thanks for all your wonderful blogs on Thailand - they have been a great help in planning my travels and I love reading your stories and adventures, all the best from Leon (I am back in Bangkok for Songkran festival now, so i will have some blogs happening soon, an amazing party time for four days here)
13th April 2008

Wow - What a trip!
Hi Reet, Finally, your last report - thank you so much - enjoyed every minute. Where to next? XXX Sandy
13th April 2008

Can't wait till next time!
Hey Reety...have absolutely loved reading your blogs. So sorry you got so sick but so so happy to have been a part of your adventure. India 2009 perhaps? xoxo McK
14th April 2008

Hi Reet.. thanks for sharing all your wonderful stories on your big trip. I hope your feeling much better now, you poor thing! But it sounds like you had an amazing time. The hot choccy looks so good.. yum! Izzy x

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 122; dbt: 0.1782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb