Taiwan


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
July 27th 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 (27 July 2005)



The MRT train from our hostel to Beitou took about 30 minutes. We met a fellow Singaporean on our way to the Hotspring Museum as we took the same flight with him two days ago. He was coming to Beitou to experience the outdoor hotsprings under the scorching 35 degrees summer heat. We didn't have the chance as they were closed for maintenance. What luck!

After a quick lunch, we took bus 260 to bring us to Yangmingshan National Park at the outskirts. Armed with a pair of scandals I bought at Giant, we decided to hike our way to Cising Park. I had forgotten how long we took but I guessed it was really tough as the steps seemed endless.

That evening, we finally made our way to Ximenting. (The story continues)

Anyway, before I leave here are the 12 positive aspects of Taiwan that I noted at the end of my 3rd day which I had posted in another forum.

1) Like Hong Kong, passengers using the escalators at MRT stations will keep to the right leaving the left lane empty for people overtaking.


2)
At the busiest station, Taipei Main Station, passengers were seen queuing up to board their trains in an orderly fashion.


3) Environmental friendly. No plastic bags were given to us at 7-11 & Carrefour, we need to purchase them at NT$2 should we require them.


4) Environmental friendly bins were located at major transit points where different bins were used to separate the wastes for recycling.


5) Colourful convenience stores. U will never go hungry in Taipei with the various bian dans available. And they are affordable.


6) Caring voice over inside MRT Trains to encourage passengers to give up their seats to the needy. Overheard it at Taipei Main Station - 4 languages.


7) Rubbish bins are hard to find. Always have to hunt for it at MRT stations and 7-11.


8) Colorful night markets all over the city waiting to be discovered.


9) Helpful, friendly information centres manned by volunteers. I spoke to a lady volunteer at Sun Moon Lake working as a teacher. She was very proud of her job.


10) Never be afraid to ask around for help when you are lost. In order of priority, look for information counters / policemen / security guards / sales staffs / ordinary citizens. When all else fails, hop into a cab to your destination.


11) Lift operators manned by young, sweet looking ladies at Sin Kong San Yue.


12) Colorful neon lights dotted Ximenting - wonderful.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th November 2005

i love taiwan
hey roy, i can see you really enjoyed your trip to taiwan! so wish to get back there again once i've the money and time... :-)

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb