Taiwan (25 July - 1 August 2005)


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
July 26th 2005
Published: November 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 (26 July 2005)



The sun rose early in summer in Taipei. But we couldn't care less. It was close to 8am as we woke up. After a quick breakfast, we headed straight to the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall to pay respect to Taiwan's one-time dictator. Completed in 1980, it took us 89 steps to reach the Main Hall where an hourly change of guards was taking place.

Our next destination was Taipei Main Station where we roamed around the Taipei Underground Mall . Lunch was at Mitsukoshi Departmental Store where we were greeted by the ladies manning the elevators to B1. We roamed around the neighbourhood before crossing the road to the 228 Peace Park and the National Taiwan Museum. The scorching heat took a toll on me and I caught some sleep in one of the comfotable chairs in the Museum.

The MRT took us to Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall in Taipei Sinyi District where we witnessed yet another changing of guards ceremony. We crossed over to the Taipei City Hall & visited the Discovery Centre of Taipei. Loved the exhibits but unfortunately, we managed to cover 2 levels before it was time for the centre to call it a day.

Dinner was at Taipei 101 - the tallest building in the world until Dubai's skyscraper is ready in 2008. It was a majestic building that reminds me of KLCC that houses all the expensive brands & our local Jasons Marketplace. We popped over to the nearby New York New York before going back to Amigo Hostel for a quick rest.

At 9pm, we were out again to Shida Night Market. Much smaller in scale than Shilin, this market is no less appealing. It's less commercialized and the students clientele gave it a vibrant feel that is clearly lacking in Shilin. We tasted the fruit-ice and the chicken bits. Thumbs up!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb