<<回台北走走2012>> Observatory @ New Taipei City Hall, Banqiao City


Advertisement
Taiwan&#039;s flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei » Banciao City
August 20th 2012
Published: September 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Monday, 20th August 2012

Our final day in Taipei before flying back home the day after.

We were blessed with clear skies as we made our way to Banqiao City, a couple of Metro stops west of Taipei Station. Our destination in the morning was the Observatory at the top of New Taipei City Hall. We were greeted by a team of friendly volunteers who directed us to the correct lifts (19 & 20) for the Observatory at the 32nd Level.

It took a while for our lift to climb up to the top as it was making a couple of stops along the way. Admission was completely free (unlike her Taipei 101 cousin) and I'm thankful that the crowds were really thin on a Monday morning.

Apparently, few visitors seemed to have known the existence of this Observatory since it was never given any publicity in the tourist literature. There were less than ten visitors at the time we visited.

From the 32nd level, the views of the city was awesome. We could dish out several notable landmarks including the Taipei 101 Building, the Grand Hotel at Yuanshan as well as the Shin Kong Life Tower at Taipei Station. I just hoped that this hidden gem would continue to remain open for the public's enjoyment.

After spending half an hour at the Observatory, we took our lunch at the nearby Gen Tei Shoku Japanese Restaurant on top of Far Eastern 21 Departmental Store. We were certainly impressed by the great service of the wait-staffs and the nice prices we paid for our yummy set lunch. S had her sashimi don while I opted for my pork cutlet. This was our first decent meal in a restaurant after so many days in the city.

A nice view and a great meal to kickstart our final day in Taipei. I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of the day ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb