I found it!


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taichung
May 27th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On the Streets of TaipeiOn the Streets of TaipeiOn the Streets of Taipei

On a shopping spree. Veeery cheap!
Less than two days left.

I left Taipei yesterday to go to Taichung further down the island. Taichung is Mavis' home town and the third largest city in Taiwan.

My last days in Taipei contained some more good shopping as well as a visit to the worlds tallest building Taipei 101 and a backstage sneak-in to see the West Side Story. Michelle, another friend of Mavis', is a professional musician and plays the bassoon in the orchestra, so she brought us in through the backdoor. Even though musicals isn't my favourite art form, I enjoyed the show! Taipei 101 was very touristy and in the fastest elevator in the world they displayed the speed in the very common unit meters per minute just so that they could reach the magic number of 1000. The view was nice though, and the ice cream even better.

In Taichung I was invited to the birthday party of her grandma yesterday evening. The whole family had gathered at a restaurant and we had lots of food as well as whiskey and Taiwanese beer. Nice to meet her family who all were very nice! In the evening we went night shopping with some
KaraokeKaraokeKaraoke

Mavis rockin' it in Taipei!
friends to Mavis.

Today we went up in the mountains...yes Taiwan has lots of them and very nice ones too...to the beautiful Sun Moon Lake. On the way we stopped at Mavis' favourite coffe place called Iron Hat in mandarin. It's a little white hut located along the road about an hour away from Taichung and looks like an abandoned burnt out shack no one has used for at least a decade. However, as you step inside you're met by an arty but sparse wooden decor that fits perfectly with the surrounding scenery...the green mountains and the river flowing underneath. Calm latin folk music streams through the room which adds a perfect extra spice to the already great atmosphere. As you take a sip of your coffee, an old black dog enters the room and calmly wanders around before it parks on the bench next to you. It's like you want to do the same...park and stay indefinately...read that great book of yours, or just let your mind drift off in whatever direction... I did that for just 10 minutes and I already had THE cafe experience of my life. I wish I'd stayed longer.

Tonight is a
Taipei 101, then West Side StoryTaipei 101, then West Side StoryTaipei 101, then West Side Story

Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall with Taipei 101 in the background.
calm night.

Since I wasn't able to add any photos to my last entry, I will add both old and new ones to this one.

Take care everyone and see you soon!

/Magnus



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Fun and Games!Fun and Games!
Fun and Games!

I guess this game is old but still fun if you're a wannabe drummer ;)
THE CafeTHE Cafe
THE Cafe

Mavis and Jolie outside THE coffee place beautifully located in the mountains an hour away from Taichung.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb