Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Negombo
February 15th 2016
Published: February 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our Sri Lanka Adventure over the Chinese New Year 2016 The Chinese people are expected to travel back to their homes over the Chinese New Year. This is the largest migration of people at any one time, and it makes for interesting travel. Flights must be booked at least 6 months ahead of time, train tickets sell out and hotels are full. Sri Lanka, prior to 1972 known as Ceylon, lies just off the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sri Lankan Wild ElephantsSri Lankan Wild Elephants
Sri Lankan Wild Elephants

The park is important for the conservation of Sri Lankan wild elephants, Sri Lankan leopards and aquatic birds. The elephant herds of Yala contains 300–500 individual elephants.
Along The HighwayAlong The Highway
Along The Highway

It was common to see these types of buildings along the road. There is a lot of poverty in Sri Lanka.
Lulu, Leah and Our Guide, JimmyLulu, Leah and Our Guide, Jimmy
Lulu, Leah and Our Guide, Jimmy

Jimmy joined us on the second day as we were promised an English speaking guide. TK, our driver, had very limited English.
Rawana FallsRawana Falls
Rawana Falls

Just outside of Ella. Rawana Falls is a picturesque spot to visit. There were a lot of vendors selling corn on the cob, coconuts, a delicious type of fruit similar to lychees, and other vegetables and fruits. Many white face monkeys begged or snatched food.
MacaquesMacaques
Macaques

They were obviously used to being fed by the tourists, and these were waiting for my cob of corn. One of them took it out of my hand when I was done.
Our Driver, TKOur Driver, TK
Our Driver, TK

He was an amazing driver and got us from place to place as quickly as possible. Linda couldn't watch the road because we would meet oncoming traffic all the time. They pass 3 abreast or swerve back at the last minute. Scary!
Lunch Time Lunch Time
Lunch Time

We stopped in this town for lunch and a bathroom break. Lunch was a few samosas and fired fritters.
Tea HouseTea House
Tea House

The girls went for a walk while the van cooled off after climbing the mountains to Nuwara Eliya. They found this charming tea house where we enjoyed a relaxing cup of tea.
Mackwoods TeaMackwoods Tea
Mackwoods Tea

Nuwara Eliya lies in the heart of the tea growing district of Sri Lanka. Tea was introduced to Sri Lanka by the British and is now their #1 export.
Mackwoods Tea FactoryMackwoods Tea Factory
Mackwoods Tea Factory

Located in the heart of Sri Lanka's tea growing area, Mackwoods Tea Estate is now owned by Sri Lanka. This part of the factory dries the leaves.
Tea Bushes EverywhereTea Bushes Everywhere
Tea Bushes Everywhere

Sri Lanka is the 4th largest producing country in the world behind China, India and Kenya. Here, because of the altitude and weather, they are able to harvest year round.
Tea PlantsTea Plants
Tea Plants

Tea is a shrub that is maintained at about a 3 foot height. The top 2 or 3 leaves and the bud is harvested by hand about 4 times a month.
Tea CountryTea Country
Tea Country

The men cultivate and trim the bushes while the women pick the leaves. An average 18-kilo haul brings in around 380 rupees ($4).
A Truck Load of TeaA Truck Load of Tea
A Truck Load of Tea

The estate own the land, tea and provides housing for the workers. The tea is hauled to the factory for drying and sorting.
Taking The TrainTaking The Train
Taking The Train

One of the top recommended things to do in Sri Lanka is ride the local train. The train meandered through incredibly beautiful terrain and provided a vital transportation link for the locals.
Nuwara Eliya Train StationNuwara Eliya Train Station
Nuwara Eliya Train Station

We took the local train from Nuwara Eliya to just outside of Kandy. TK and Jimmy dropped us off then drove to meet us.
Busy PlaceBusy Place
Busy Place

Tickets are purchased at the station only, and they are rush seating. People crowd on, many of them standing. It was a half hour before people got off and we got to have a seat.
Beautiful CountryBeautiful Country
Beautiful Country

The train meanders through valleys filled with tea shrubs, then through tunnels in the mountains and through pine forests. It was gorgeous!
Linda Made A FriendLinda Made A Friend
Linda Made A Friend

This lady insisted her son give up his seat for Linda. There were many locals standing in the aisles. In the car in front of us, a group of men were playing drums and singing to entertain and pass the time.
Royal Botanical GardensRoyal Botanical Gardens
Royal Botanical Gardens

We only had an hour to visit the manicured grounds of the Royal Botanical Gardens of Kandy. These were impressive trees the like of which we have never seen before.
The Girls on Palm AvenueThe Girls on Palm Avenue
The Girls on Palm Avenue

What a wonderful setting. We could easily have spent the whole afternoon here.



25th February 2016

Sri Lanka
Wow what an adventure you had! Love it!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb