Sri Lanka one year on


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Hikkaduwa
November 10th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sri Lankan SunsetSri Lankan SunsetSri Lankan Sunset

I had fogotten how beautiful the sunsets are here.
So almost exactly one year after my first adventure into voluntary work I have returned to the Child and Youth Development Centre, as promised, to see what effect my work had and what needs to be done next. I was hoping to return to a new computer classroom so that I could help fit it out. Unfortunately work on the new building stopped due to a dispute with the builder (I believe that he spent a lot of the money with little progress so he had to go).

There is an orphan house being built by the Leicestershire-based Rosie May charity (www.rosie-may.com/46301/index.html) on land belonging to the Centre and they recommended to use their builder to help with the new classrooms. Fortunately they have also kindly offered to joint fund completion of the classroom building. Some progress has been made, but it hard to see either new building being ready before next Spring at the earliest. You just can't expedite things in a country like Sri Lanka, but problems with the existing building and recent heavy rains make that an issue!

Happily the existing computer classroom seems to be full of working computers, but the ceiling is leaking in
New Classroom BuildingNew Classroom BuildingNew Classroom Building

The new computer room will be on the top floor.
the same place as (and more than) last year. Costs in Sri Lanka have generally risen due to the recent budget (maybe the government is feeding its war chest for a new offensive and there are an incredible number of government ministers needing to keep their staff cars running), so added to the problems with the builder there is little prospect of getting the roof fixed. So what to do? I had plans for a back-up power supply (UPS) and maybe an aircon unit to help with the effects of the humidity, but I am monitoring to see if that is justified expense. You can buy a new pc fo the cost of a UPS in Sri Lanka. The roof could also be a higher priority but how easy would it be to get the work done reliably?

These are some of the problems of on-going charity work. For those who heard the story of my last visit, you will be relieved to hear that I haven't gone anywhere with any stranger this time. If you want to see where I am staying you can look at www.oceanviewcottage.net (I've gone a bit upmarket as I am on paid leave
The Rosie May HouseThe Rosie May HouseThe Rosie May House

The orphan house complex.
this time).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Leaking RoofLeaking Roof
Leaking Roof

The leaking ceiling in the existing building.
Brunch Sri Lanka StyleBrunch Sri Lanka Style
Brunch Sri Lanka Style

Yes, the green bits are chillis.
Galle International Cricket GroundGalle International Cricket Ground
Galle International Cricket Ground

Another project with builder problems, the re-juvenated cricket ground struggles to be ready for England next month


13th November 2007

I wondered where you were at the moment, I am glad to see that you are interested in the state of the pitch and will no doubt be sending up to date reports to the ECB!!

Tot: 0.478s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.4275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb