7–Day Discover Korea Tour – Day 5 – Busan, South Korea to Gyeongju, South Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
March 13th 2024
Published: March 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

In the morning, we'll begin our day with a visit to Haedong Yonggungsa Temple, located along the picturesque northeast coast of Busan. This remarkable attraction offers a rare opportunity to experience a temple right by the shoreline. Afterward, we'll head to Gyeongju and enjoy lunch upon our arrival. Our journey will then take us to the Seokguram Grotto, a sublime masterpiece of Buddhist art and spirituality majestically perched on the slopes of Toham Mountain. Recognized as one of Asia's most splendid Buddhist shrines, this site invites you to immerse yourself in its sacred chambers and admire the intricately carved statues, providing an enchanting experience. Following this, we'll visit the Daereungwon Tomb Complex, believed to be the resting place of kings and court officials. Our exploration will continue at the Gyeongju National Museum, predominantly showcasing relics from the Silla kingdom, with Gyeongju as its capital. Before dinner, we'll make a stop at Woljeonggyo Bridge for a photo session, capturing its reflection in the river. To conclude our day's adventures, we'll check into our hotel in Gyeongju for an overnight stay.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Uncle Larry climbed the hill to the base of the grotto but didn’t go any further. Most steps in South Korea are marginally safe at best – rough treads, uneven risers and (almost universally) no handrails. Going up might be manageable; however, the dangerous phase is the descent. No need for another fall! The Gyeongju National Museum is very well documented in English and other languages and should be included on anybody’s visit to South Korea. I wish we had had more time. The Daereungwon Tomb Complex is also documented in English and other languages but to a lesser extent than the National Museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb