Singapore Hot, Hot, Hot!!!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
June 5th 2006
Published: June 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Singapore

Our first port of call.

The MerlionThe MerlionThe Merlion

Symbol of Singapore.
Hello from a very hot and sticky Singapore! Good flight with Singapore Airlines; Rik watched loads of films, Kiera watched Shrek and Shark Tale about 4 times each and I watched the Flight information map wishing the miles away!!! I managed to control my panic and lever my nails out of Riks leg after take off and the flight was fine, albeit long. Food not up to much - apparently designed by Gordan Ramsey.....
When we landed the heat was about 30 degrees and hit us full force as soon as we stepped outside the airconditioned airport! Very humid and sticky, I had forgotten how pleasant it is to walk around dripping wet!!! We stayed at the Novotel on Clarke Quays which was beautiful and a bargain at 50 pounds per night (booked through internet on www.accor.com), we travelled through Europe last year with Novotel and they are excellent value if booked through their website. Kiera loved the rooftop swimming pool and we have spent lots of time in it. Haven't done much sightseeing really as the heat is very hard for K to handle and we didn't want to overdo it with her, but we managed to get a complimentary river trip from the hotel and found City Buzz Tours which have three routes around the city which you can hop on and off all day for $5 each (about 2.10), free for Kiera; hardly anyone on them, we got the front seat of the Double Decker each time (Mum, you would have been proud) and spent all day riding round looking at the sights in relative comfort and cool. Got off in Little India for a look around and bought some fab necklaces (3 for $10), had a couple of beers and then off to CHinatown. Chinatown was excellent and took me right back to HK, same smells, food etc. Budgetary constraints and Rik made sure I didn't go mad, but I could so easily have spent a small fortune as they had some fantastic stuff. We bought Kiera a new chinese dress as she had outgrown her other one and she bought a million stickers!!! Sunday was spent on a "luxury" trip to Sentosa Island which was very disappointing as they just transported us there and bought our tickets for an extortionate amount of money. We had to fight with everyone else to get on buses etc and we soon got hot and fed up. Should have done it ourselves - lesson learned!! Sentosa Island has changed very much since I was there in 1994 with mum and Dad and I wouldn't now go back. Lots of new builds, commercialisation and a right rip off. The cable car over is also now spoilt due to a whacking great container port having been built to spoil the view!
Well, we have had a great time there and both say we could easily have stayed a week. It is so cheap and if you can hack the long flight, would be excellent for a weeks holiday in the future.
We are now in Australia (Perth) which at first sight looks really lovely - very open, spacious, clean and bright so will keep you posted. Weather is like a lovely british summer 19 - 22 degrees and expected to be lovely all week so fingers crossed. We can actually plan days out!!! I am in my element surrounded by leaflets, maps etc. Rik is in his element drinking Tiger & corona beers and eating steak and Kiera is in her element swimming every day. Hope you are all well and happy, thank you for your messages and please let us know what you are up to.
Lots of Love, Nicchi, Rik & Kiera.xxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb