Not for the squeemish! (plus made it to Singapore- yay!)


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well...what a mission it was to get out of Phuket!
Now i wrongly assumed that if the airport was open the flight would be all fine...well when i arrived it just said to go to check in desk but then about 5minutes later some guys came along and said to the person infront of me that the flight was cancelled. At first i didn't believe them, this couldn't happen but then i heard that they had a text last night saying the flight was cancelled, god knows why i didn't but AirAsia said that the planes they were using were stuck in Bangkok- supposedly, makes sense in a way but was still not helpful.
They kindly refunded me the whole amount (Apart from travel agent fees which i couldn't really complain about)...next mission- to try and get another flight out of the airport where everyone was trying to do the same thing- Dog eat Dog world, which wouldn't have been too bad if it wasn't wayyy too early in the morning when my brain was not functioning on what was the best thing to do...stay in Phuket, fly to KL,Malaysia...Try and make the journey over land...well i decided to attempt to put my name on the stand by lists- The flight to Singapore with Silk air had closed there stand by list- what is more annoying about this, i decided to not fly with them as they were about 300baht more expensive (About 5-6 pounds)...if i had flown with them i would have had no problems. Next was to try make it to KL (Kuala Lumpur)...well i got myself on the stand by list but unfortunately missed out...well then i was walking around and some body stood on my foot (i know...whats the problem with that)...well some how the managed to nearly rip off my big toe nail, its still on now but only by a few strands at the bottom so waiting for that to fall off any day now...this then caused a minor technicality with blood. Luckily it didn't bleed for long and i managed to clean it up with my last medical wipe...
Luckily then managed to get on the next flight to KL where they had got a bigger plane, obviously Malaysia airways was in an advantage and the cost was rediculous (just less than 10,000 baht!) but i needed to get out the airport and had made some kind friends...the cost to get out...KL airport was another mini mission, how do i get to Singapore- do i fly or go via road, if i fly its expensive but by road it takes a good few hours and the train doesn't leave till 9pm and the bus takes 6hrs. I asked about flights in which the only one with spare places was with Malaysia airlines, well another 650 Malaysian Ringgits and i have made it to Singapore where luckily my friend Arnold meets me...finally to a city of civilisation and normality. It reminds me strangely of London.
We got the underground and had a brief tour of Singapore before getting the last train back...then his friend picked us up and we went back over to Malaysia (As you do) for dinner...made it back late where i slept very well lol. Woke up the next morning and we met some of his friends and went to Sentosa (the island), had a great time, playing (badly) a bit of beach volleyball- i am near on hopeless lol but was fun till i kicked the foot- what a blonde thoughtless moment. I am lucky in that it doesn't hurt most of the time until i kick a ball obviously lol...i then enjoyed watching the many matches going on, the sun and lovely sunset until we set out back to town. We all got ready, had dinner and then went to a Thai disco for some live music, few drinks and a laugh. Was good fun but after a few hours i admitted to being absolutely shattered- so much so i was falling asleep. We got in about 4am and i was out very quickly- zzzzzz. Today we had a lie in and i eventually got up and out of bed at 3pm (woke up a few times before but not completely- kipper style), bad i know but i needed it after last few days. We went shopping today where i got a dress for when we go clubbing and some new sandals- flip flops are not allowed lol- yes thats right, i have learnt the art of walking in flip flops 😊
Will do another catch up soon and am keeping an eye on the situation in Bangkok... :S :S
Qatar airlines:
Bangkok Update
Qatar Airways has been unable to operate its normal schedule of twice-daily flights in and out of Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok since 25th November 2008, following a siege by anti-government protestors, who stormed the control tower and forced the closure of the airport.

The Thai Government has declared a State of Emergency at the airport, which now remains closed until 6:00pm local time (11:00am GMT) on 1st December 2008 at the earliest.


Q: What is the current situation in Bangkok?
A: Anti-government protestors have forced the closure of Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok. As such, all flights to and from the Thai capital have been suspended until further notice. While the airport remains closed, Qatar Airways is unable to operate any flights in and out of Bangkok.

Q: I am due to fly with Qatar Airways to Bangkok, what should I do?
A: Those passengers who have confirmed bookings with Qatar Airways to Bangkok should contact their local Qatar Airways reservations office to re-book, re-route or to claim a refund.

Passengers holding a reservation with Qatar Airways to Bangkok should call their local Qatar Airways office in order to change their flights to another Qatar Airways’ destination.

Full contact details of all Qatar Airways offices worldwide can be found here.

Q: Can I re-book to an alternative destination?
A: Yes, Qatar Airways is able to re-book its passengers to an alternative destination. The difference between the current and new fare should be paid by the customer.

Q: I am currently in Thailand and am due to fly with Qatar Airways out of Bangkok, what should I do?
A: Passengers with confirmed bookings for flights out of Bangkok, should contact Qatar Airways reservations office to re-book, re-route or to claim a refund on either of the following numbers:
+ 66 2 259 2701
+ 66 2 259 2705
+ 66 2 259 3560
+ 66 2 259 3563

Qatar Airways Bangkok City ticketing and reservations is open. However, due to the current situation, Qatar Airways’ Bangkok Airport ticketing and reservations office remains closed until further notice.

Q: When will Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport be re-opened?
A: At this stage it is impossible to predict when the airport will re-open but we are monitoring the situation in Bangkok closely. Suvarnabhumi International Airport remains closed until further notice

Last updated Sunday, 30th November 2008

Its the Kings birthday on friday so i am hoping things will all be resolved by then...god knows how they can afford to lose this much money per day....

Catch up soon 😊
xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb