Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 30th 2007
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The MRT stationThe MRT stationThe MRT station

Very clean and not too crowded
Started the day a little relaxed - slept in, had a nice leisurely breakfast, checked some email and stuff, then eventually headed out about 11ish. Took the MRT (train) - it was really nice, clean, organized and easy.

First stop - Little India. Walked down the long streets of stalls selling fruits and vegetables and flower things (not sure what they are used for - but they are pretty). Then we made our way to the Tekka Center, the big hawker center in Little India. A Hawker center is big building, or whatever, with lots of little stalls all selling food. This one also had fruits and veggies, and meat and fish. The one stall we were told to go to for Biriyani was closed for vacation, but I think we found the second best one. Dan certainly enjoyed his Biriyani with chicken, and the man serving it looked like he knew what he was doing.

Sufficiently stuffed, we walked out some more. This time to the Sim Lim Square - a huge “Department Store” that has tons and tons of booths of electronics. Dan was looking for some lenses for the camera (all too expensive) or the laptops
Little India FlowersLittle India FlowersLittle India Flowers

They made all these pretty lei things with the flowers.
with his SideShow - score! Dan really enjoyed this place.

Next we headed back through Little India to some other roads, and ended up at Mathu’s Curry for lunch - yea, we like our Indian Food. And this stuff was pretty good.

After lunch we went to Mustafa’s - a huge department store that sells just about anything you can think of - first floor was jewelry and electronics, the second floor was a whole grocery store, then clothing and home ware, etc. It was pretty cool, and it was packed!
Afterwards we were done with Little India, so we headed to the Arab Quarter. It is only a few streets (so named Arab Street and Beirut Street and the alike) all around a huge Mosque, which was quite impressive. We did a little shopping - more Chinese goods, lots of materials, and some trendy little stores then headed home to rest - and have a drink.

At about 7:15 we caught the shuttle to the Singapore Night Safari. It’s a whole zoo that is only open at night - where you can see the animals at night in their natural habitat. Some of it was cool - we took the tram ride and the animals are pretty much free to roam around the areas a lot, so they got pretty close to the tram. But when we did the walking part, it was really crowded and not as much fun. So about 10pm we headed back. Walked around Orchard Park a bit - it’s a huge shopping area, with mall after mall after mall. Then home to hit the sack.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tekka CenterTekka Center
Tekka Center

Let's get us some food.
Serving foodServing food
Serving food

They make it in this big vat, all layered up. It was good.
Danny eatingDanny eating
Danny eating

Get in my belly.
Sim Lim CenterSim Lim Center
Sim Lim Center

Floor after floor of electronics
SideShow!SideShow!
SideShow!

Becky modeling with the Asus SideShow machine.
CaltexCaltex
Caltex

He was funny. He tried to sells us a blood pressure monitor (i am 111/80 - very healthy) and this massage machine thing that basically is all electrodes shooting into your body.
The massage machineThe massage machine
The massage machine

Dan wasn't a fan.
Little India IncenseLittle India Incense
Little India Incense

Pick your "poison"
LunchLunch
Lunch

Lots of curry.
Coke adCoke ad
Coke ad

It tastes good with food.
Another view of the mosqueAnother view of the mosque
Another view of the mosque

I liked the painting they were doing.
Arab graffitiArab graffiti
Arab graffiti

Borat & Saddam, a likely pair
OwlOwl
Owl

On the night safari
Orchard ParkOrchard Park
Orchard Park

They are well into the Christmas season here - everywhere you go, lights, music, ads.


2nd December 2007

running out of ideas
wow, wow. just keeps getting better and better. i may hate to see it end as much as you guys. love grandpa
5th December 2007

enjoy
may this trip keeps always in your minds, as the begining of a lovely couple that are join for always best wishes from Puerto Rico orlando

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb