It ain't Boeing, but I went anyway *(SYD-SIN)


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 29th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

SYD-SIN


*Dan made me. But what a plane!

Travel Day! And the one that Danny has been anticipating all along - from Sydney to Singapore, on Singapore Airline’s A380, the first jumbo jet of its kind in service. And the flight didn’t disappoint. The plane is huge! We sat in business class on the top deck. They boarding gate, jet-ways and everything have all been set up and arranged specifically for this plane. The upper deck is business class in the front and economy in the back. The lower deck is suites in the front and economy in the back. And the plane is super quiet - we could hear the man snoring three rows back (and he snored pretty loud!).

So our seats - when I tell you they were huge - I am under exaggerating. You could fit two people in them, and in fact, we did! Danny and I watched a movie together. They convert to fully lie flat, and are quite comfortable. And the bathrooms on that plane - I think they had two much room left over, so they had to put it somewhere. So let me tell you, if you are interested in reaching
A380 AgainA380 AgainA380 Again

See the two levels of windows?
the mile high club….that is where to do it!

And of course Dan got us a tour of the suites - these things are crazy, like train compartments. Personal suites, to which you can close a door and lock out the rest of the world. But they are open on the top, so don’t try any funny business, it isn’t allowed. And the two suites in the middle aisle convert to a double bed too. And they had one set up to allow for dining with a friend - which puts our dinner on that Air New Zealand flight to shame.

But I will give props to the Singapore Air service - it was quite nice. We had two nice meals and they were very nice to us.
So, after our time on the plane, we finally made it to Singapore. Got a cab and went to the hotel. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt. It is really nice and of course Danny’s Diamond status at Hyatt got us hooked up.

So checked in and got situated, then headed out for a bit. Went down to walk around Chinatown (even though the largest population here is Chinese - not exactly a minority - Chinatown still exists from the times when Singapore was occupied from outsiders). Singapore has an odd feeling to it - a mix of Asian and European, where everyone speaks English (for the most part), but you still hesitate since we are in Asia. Chinatown was fun - cute little streets, lots of street sales, different temples. Eventually we tried to find some food - got very lost by the bad book directions (shame on you TimeOut) - and finally made it to Ka Soh. A good choice I presume as we were the only non-Asians there. Food was good - not what we are used to, but tasty.

Then home to crash - we were both exhausted besides the fact we gained a few hours from Sydney.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bec & DanBec & Dan
Bec & Dan

In Becky's seat!
Danny's remoteDanny's remote
Danny's remote

One side has the channel changing stuff, the other is a full keyboard. You can plug a usb device in and get your documents and use document editors.
The Forward StaircaseThe Forward Staircase
The Forward Staircase

Looking at the cockpit. Rebecca is trying to sneak into the suites
SuiteSuite
Suite

Set up for bed
Two middle suitesTwo middle suites
Two middle suites

Converted to a double bed. But no nookie!
One Suite - dining for twoOne Suite - dining for two
One Suite - dining for two

Note the custom givenchy china
Economy CabinEconomy Cabin
Economy Cabin

Main Deck - 3-4-3. The upperdeck is 2-4-2
BeckyBecky
Becky

awwww....
CockpitCockpit
Cockpit

Look at all those buttons, and this thing practically flies itself anyhow.
KeyboardKeyboard
Keyboard

The pilot flies the plane with a keyboard and joystick.
A mosqueA mosque
A mosque

The first mosque in Singapore


30th November 2007

wow! that plane is nuts
have fun and i assume my postcard and gifts are on the way---how long til I should expect them?
30th November 2007

the plane...
you have me in tears and hysterics.... btw.... what is "the mile high club"
2nd December 2007

laughing out loud right now!
WOW!!!...no words....looks totally AWESOME!!!...did you JOIN??

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb