Singapore Sling!!!!!!!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 16th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy first place i'm off to is Singapore!!!!!!!!! Can't wait, little island in the far east, south of thailand and malaysia. Supposed to be really modern n funky and nice clean so looking forward to it. Going to see my god mothers brother and stay with him for my first night then really hit the backpacking lifestyle!!! I've been to Hong Kong and Thailand so expecting it to be a mixture of the two or along the same lines. Have read that the airport is awesome, shopping good, def gonna have a singapore sling in raffles, do a few trips, go up into malaysia and hopefully meet some good old travellers and perhaps go with them onto oz!!!!! Really looking forward to Singapore though def couldn't have gone straight to oz need some culture first!!!!

Rightttttttttttttttttt so o my god i have sooo much to write its unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!! Hey to anyone reading this hope you are all good at home!!!!!!!!!!!!

So from the beginning-mum, jess and rich dropped me at the airport, i was totally cool sitting at home all day and then as soon as we got in the car it hit me that i was actually going somewhere lol!!!!!! as we pulled away from the house amy was waving us goodbye n i cud tell she was prob crying under her sunglasses and i suddenly got overwhelemed with emotions n started crying myself ha ha, it had been booked for 6 months and now i was finally going somewhere, so long waiting,planning and saving and now was finally the day i was leaving it suddenly hit me and it felt awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! the journey up to the airport went in stages of emotions, i ran in the pub and said bye which set me off again and as we got nearer and nearer to heathrow seeing planes set me off!!!!!! so arrive at the airport and said bye to the others and as i walked off it hit me hard that i was now by myself!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!! unable to think straight i could hardly focus on checking in but managed it eventually and also realised then how heavy my back pack was!! but checked in and went through and yer then i was ready ready to go, bag heavy and checked in, had said bye to everyone and now i was by myself ready for the adventutre id been planning and saving for. I sat and had dinner at the airport by myself and suddenly felt a great sense of achievement already for being there, started my written journal which is now millions of pages long and has great meaning to me!!!! My flight took off an hour late but no big deal and i was sat between some typical over weightish english blokes so chatted with them quite a bit.

Right so right now its sunday 23rd Sept and i'm at Changi airport in Singapore waiting to fly to AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! My week in Singpaore/Malaysia/Asia has gone way too quick and i have decided i am already coming back to spend a good few months in asia not just one week or the previous couple of week holidays ive had here. I want to really live it and deal with the humidity, food and grime and culture it has to offer!!!!!!

I'll begin from the beginning of the week-arrived sunday night and caught a rather flash taxi from the airport to Stephen and Shakillas appartment (ok not very travellery but it was my first night!!). It was lovely to see Stephen and meet Shakilla, their apartment is very flash in Singapore with a nice swiming pool, we sat and chatted for a couple of hours but i was slightly jet lagged and a bit overwhelemed by it all so it was hard to talk for to long. Stephen decided that the first morning in Singpaore he would wake me up early and take me for a trek up to Butik Timah Nature Reserve, which is what remains of the jungle in Sing. i wasn't quite sure that this was his attention so we headed off having had no breakfast and me being totally unfit!!! So this was a great start to my week (lol), the jungle was cool, wild monkeys coming right up to you which i also wasnt expecting and Stephen is a great guy so we had a great deep chat about life and why we are here and psychology etc which was quite deep for my first day but i like it like that. We got back had breakfast and Stephen recommended that i stayed at the Prince of Wales hostel in Little India.

So slightly nervous and very humid i set off to the hostel with my backpack in a taxi again (sorry ill be budgetting more soon), arrived at the Prince of Wales (POW) Hostel which was right in the middle of Little India and slightly different from the luxury apartment near the nature reserve that i had come from, right at midday in the strong heat i nervously walked in not knowing at all what to expect of a hostel or who i was going to be meeting/staying with. There seemed to be quite a few english looking people about in the bar/playing pool so i checked in, went up to my dorm room which was fairly ok for my first stay in a hostel-i was in a female dorm with 3 bunk beds so 6 girls, i dumped my bag and decided as no one was about that i would head off for a look about.That afternoon i wandered around Little India through all the shops and restaurants, got the MRT to ChinaTown and saw the temples and sneekily had a luxury foot massage that my poor feet were deserving already after a 5 mile trek up in the jungle and lots of walking around in the heat (you should see them now though, black n sore but totally wanting to walk round more of asia!!).

Then i headed back to the hostel feeling slightly tired n sticky and again slightly nervous of walking into a place where i didnt know anyone!!Got back to the hostel and at the door to my dorm was a lovely english girl called Gemma who couldnt get her key to work so i let her in and we had a little introductory chat etc, sorry if you're asleep already i dont know how much detail to write and at the moment want to write loads but will prob cut it down in time! So turned out in my room was one korrean girl and 4 english girls, Gemma, Michelle and Claire had been travelling together in asia for 4 months already and Becky was on her way back through asia from Australia!! So they found it quite sweet that i was on day one of my travelling!!! I spent the whole evening with them they were all lovely english girls and we had dinner together, i felt so relieved and happy that i had met people already, we had jam jars at the bar and a couple of drunken south african guys came and chatted with us. Had the worst nights sleep ever that night, hot/cold/sticky/weird being in a room with 4 girls id jus met, but that would be somehting i enjoy now but first night was a bit weird!!!!

Second day in Sing-we all got up had our free bread and eggs for breakfsat, felt rather minging n hot n tired and weird having breakfast with loads of new people but was my first ever time!!! Had a shower n i went out to look around Orchard Road which is all big designer shops etc but seeing as im on the backpackers budget no shopping for me!!! Went back to the hostel, the 3 girls were checking out as they were flying to Bali that night but Becky was staying at POW for one more night, she was going to the zoo and night safari so invited me along.Singapore Zoo and Night Safari turned out to be awesome!! the only thing was that we were totally knackered and too hot but the zoo was lush and big and open and had loads of animals, best Zoo ive ever been to. Got to know Becky a bit more, she lovely, from Wandsowrth so near my uni!!!!!! We got back to POW 9pmish knackered and both nearly fell asleep on our beds which was cool but then we decided to get some grub before we went to bed so went jus down the road and had some very nice prawn noodles. I haven't had a chance to eat much asian food really as haven't been here long enough but tried a few different things, i love asian food!! Becky also taught me how to play shit head (card game) and we chatted more....ahhh lovely girlies!!!!!! Slept like a baby that night....get in!!

So wednesday-got up, Becky was checking out and going up into Malaysia to Malaka but i didn't feel like i had quite spent enough time in sing to go with her but we said we may see each other in Kuala Lumpar. So i said bye to her and headed off to Sentosa Island by myself, slightly emotional as i was so pleased at what a good time i was having already, the girls i had met were lovely, we'd had some fun. done some good sight seeing and i was so looking forward to the rest of my trip, plus loving staying in hostels and being a dirty minging traveller (how long this will last we will see!).Sentosa island is cool very much made for tourists, you get a cable car there i treated myself to a glass floored one and then bricked my pants on it as it was sooo high!! The island has lots to do-merloin, beaches, fountains, carlsberg tower, the luge etc so was a cool afternoon by myself reflecting on the adventure i had already had. Sat on the beach writing my journal and felt totally amazing lol!! (hope no one is laughing reading this!!). So yer loving the experience so far and well happy!!!!

Back at POW that night our dorm was fairly empty :-( as the english lasses had all moved on, this has something ive learnt already that you meet some lovely people but you know that everyone is moving on and you have to go your seperate ways. The best thing about travelling by yourself is that you can just meet anyone and everyone, you can choose not to meet anyone or talk to anyone or do stuff with anyone and just spend time by yourself or you can choose to do stuff with the people you meet, it's great, having breakfast or dinner with people you have just met it's so interesting and different something you'd never find at home and it opens your eyes and mind up to the world and the people in it!!But then in walks this australian girl with big purple, black n blue dreds!!!!!!!! So i get chatting to her she has been travelling for 15 months to 51 countries!! God i feel like such a beginner compared to everyone i meet!! I asked her if she fancied going to Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling but she wasn't sooo keen so i went down to the bar and the south african guys were down there and one of them Ryan said he'd come with me, so we caught the MRT to Raffles and had a sling and there was a brilliant live band on so we sat chatting, throwing monkey nuts on the floor and that was really cool as well, ryan was cute!!!!!!!

Back at the Hostel, oh yer i totally missed out that on Monday when i went out by myself i went on a river taxi from boat quay and clarke quay along the river and on that i met 4 other english people who had been on the same flight as me out to sing. they were staying at the Hang Out Hostel but ended up moving to the POW as it was the best!! it was the cheapest and def had the best atmosphere so i was lucky that Stephen had recommended it. You find that with travelling that everything seems to fall into place, without any planning it as though someone is watching over you and makes sure everything happens ok, as with hostels, meeting people, going places etc it all fits into place and happens so im totally more layed back about everything now!! No point in planning as you don't know who you may meet or what you may get offered to do or what is around the corner.....love it!! The whole week has been unplanned and been the best!! So back at the hostel they were in the bar chatting to other new english guys so i had a drink with them that night and then went to bed.

By now i had decided that i had seen most of Singapore and done everything that i wanted to do and that to make the most of my week in asia (booo hooo not long enough) that i should go up into malaysia and the obvious place to go was to the capital Kula Lumpar (KL), so i woke up thurs morn and checked out POW. The australian girl with dreds also wanted to go up to KL so she decided to check out as well and we headed to the bus station in the boiling heat with our back packs about a 30 min walk....killer to see what time the busses were up to KL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Turned out that when we got there there was a bus leaving at 12pm so we bought our tickets and jumped on it!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



12th September 2007

Hey babe
So glad your looking forward to going, i hope you have an amazing time, i'm sure you will!!! Shame i couldn't of come with you. Sounds like you have a few plans already, which sound cool. Im sure you are certaintly going see some cool sites. Make sure you keep in contact and stay safe. Will look forward to seeing all your pics xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
29th September 2007

CAITLAN
HI i HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A NICE TIME. EVRY NITE i CRY BECOS i WANT TO SEE YOU xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx love from caitlan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
29th September 2007

Hi, clar
Hi Clar, are you ok, i hope you are having a good time on your holiday. I miss you loads. Me and caitlan cry every night because we miss you so much! The weather here is rubbish it keeps raining, lol, lucking you your soaking up the luxury of Singapores sun. Miss you lots, have a brilliant time on the rest of your journey. Lots of love Chloe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6th October 2007

Hi clar,
Hi Clar, Recieved e-mail about corky, will reply Monday from Cott Farm, In the mean time take care, love you, Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb