Finally we start!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 23rd 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

BetelBox HostelBetelBox HostelBetelBox Hostel

Nice Communal Area
Hello to everyone (and anyone who may have stumbled across us).

About a year ago we decided that it was time to throw it all in and finally make that trip around the world. Unfortunately, there was just one problem. Renovating our house! Finally the place is on the market, with the dreaded hell demons (I mean foxtons), and we are here on the first destination of our journey - Singapore.

Singapore is a sort of home from home for us both, since we have both been here before (and in Aristi's case - twice). Her second stay, and my first, was with a work friend of mine - and we got the advantages of getting shown the island by someone that lived there... This makes it a comfortable place for us to slowly slip into the travelling vibe, but its also a bit of a pedestrian start, as Singapore is small, and we've seen most of it!

Our first Hostel was nice - tatty outside but once we got inside it was actually pretty plush (refurbished end of last year). Bit dead there, but I think thats mainly because Singapore is either a stopping or a starting point, so people arrive either wide eyed and not yet into the backpacking vibe or aware they are about to head home and slowly coming to terms with it!

We've been wandering about Malls all day (Singapore is basically a big mall), and looking for maps of malaysia - the rough guide is good - but it gives no real means to work out a route... just a load of jumbled up "this is good" 's. We've got a map now, so we are stringing a route together...

We're now in a hostel called BetelBox Backpackers which is much better (see photo), and livelier, if a little older. Its near the beach and has a gym...

Next few days we'll be heading off to the Jurong Bird Sanctuary (one of the few things we haven't done here) and the Night Safari (which is worth doing everytime you are here) and then mostly the beach me thinks! There's also a parade for Chinese new year tomorrow on Orchard Street that looks worth a look.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb