In ore of Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 21st 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sinapore's museumSinapore's museumSinapore's museum

The lighting a night was beautiful!
Sorry for the delay in updating the travelblog we have not been able to access a computer to do a proper update. Sinse the last update we have been to Singapore and lounging around the pool it is such a hard life.

After Owen had such bad sunburn we decided to have a few quiet days we lounged around the flat, Mark had to go back to the UK so we decided to venture onto Singapore.

We arrived in Singapore to glorious sunshine and very freindly people. We were dropped of at the lowest part of Singapore next to the biggest shopping centre we have ever seen. As it was still under contruction we did not manage to see everything we could. Charlie was very excited when we went past an electronics store he had to have a go on every little think (vibrating chair and a full body massaging chair). We saw the biggest TV in this shop about 60 inches for a cool S$8000 which is about three thousand pounds.

From there we wandered around and then took a cable car to Sentosa island the view from it was outstanding you could almost see all of
The view from the harbourThe view from the harbourThe view from the harbour

These are all the skyscrapers that ake up the finianical district. Also you can see the Merlion spraying out water on the edge of the harbour
Singapore however Owen did not see that much as he clung onto the side of the Cart. The pictures do not do it justice. Sentosa island is 100m off the coast of Singapore and when we got there it felt like the entire city was there as it was so busy. Guy was feeling the heat a bit to much so Guy and Owen bought hats to keep themselves cool, Guy decided that it was so hot he deserved to buy a hat that had a solar power fan in the peak of the cap. We first of all could not stop laughing but after a while did not want to be seen with him. Just to let you know a little bit about the island it was originally covered in jungle but it has been changed into a big tourist attraction, it has many features such as the Merlion which was a very large statue about 37 m high.(see pictues) There was a lot of work being done to the island to improve it, however you still could go on the man made beaches which was outstanding. There was a lot of bars, resturants, museams, a hotel and even
Owens sunburn! Owens sunburn! Owens sunburn!

For some reason he kept complaining
a golf course. We only managed to see a portion of this as time was a bit restricted as we only had two days in Singapore. We did go to the underwater world that had some of the stragest looking and largest sea creatures either of us had seen. We even went on a floor esculator which took us through the aquariums(See pics).

After we had lunch we decided to wander over to Singapore Emma and Guy needed to get a hotel so we jumped into a taxi and the taxi driver was the best ever he was a self proclaimed "Jimmy the Great" who gave us all his philosfies on life such as you have to have two women in yourlife a woman to serve and a woman to love take away what you will from that. He gave us lots of info on Singapore and life in general. His main point though was he was not 50 years old but 50 years wise no wonder we are so stupid.

We had a long wait for the hotel as they could not book in until 8.20 so we decided to take a walk down to Bugis junction
View from Sky car View from Sky car View from Sky car

looking back over Singapore
which is one of the smaller shopping centres. Owen needed a new t-shirt as he forgot to bring a new one. When we got there they had a central stage where they had beat boxing (people making funny noises into a microphone) and break dancing. Charlie managed to win a T-shirt so he ws happy. We were not there for very long as we wanted to go get something to eat as well. We headed down to boat Quay which is not to far from the harbour and where we sat it overlooked Parlimate across the river and we had a backdrop of the skyscraped which makes up Singapoures financial district. The view was spectactular however when we went to get our meal we were hounded by ever resturant but we decided to go to a Chinese resturant. We all went our seperate ways and we went back to our hostel where we met afew travelers who gave us some advise and beer for our travels.

Our second day in Singapore was spend looking around the main shopping area of Orchard road, which on the one street had 35 huge shopping malls one of them had 9 floors up
View from Sky car 2View from Sky car 2View from Sky car 2

View over Sentosa Island
to this point the weather was really nice but then we had a massive downpore at this point we had to run for cover. After such a busy day and the fact the Charlie had only one and a half hours sleep due to the fact of Owen snoring so badly we decided to call it a day and head back to the flat.

For the next two days we just lounged around the pool and watched almost every single James Bond film as they seem to be on contrant repeat. We nipped down to the shopping centre by the flat where we had a meal and a drink for the equivilent of 80p.

Emma and Guy were due to fly back on the Saturday so we all decided to go back to Singapore to finish off our exploring we went for breakfast in a foodhall and Chalie had a good idea of eating a Beriani curry for breakast and he could not work out why he had a bad stomache for the rest of the day.(enough said) After this we went to Clarke quay to get a "bum boat" ride down the river and into the harbour
Charlie and Owen next to MerlionCharlie and Owen next to MerlionCharlie and Owen next to Merlion

The symbol of Singapore
where we past another statue of the Merlion at the entrance of the harbour we also got a great view of skyscrapers, parliment, the arts centre which is their equililent of the Sydney opera house. We ventured around a lot of Singapour and found a small Italian restuart where we all had a hot meal and drinks for five pounds. We spent most of the day looking around shops before heading of to the aiport to say goodbye to Emma and GUy just to make sure they went off ok. Charlie and myself went back to Singapor and decided to do the night Safari which has won many awards. The zoo was on 40 acres of forested part which allowed you to view 120 differentspecies of animals such as Big cats to buffalos. It was an increadle experiance just like the rest of Singapore as everything is very well organised, claen, tidy and had a great attention to detail. We saw two attactions the first one was a Creatures of the night show which included, Raccons, small bears, hyeinas and a creature that looked like a small leapord/cougar. As we were sat on the front row we got to see the animals were within reaching distance with no barriers or fencing. Next we took a tram ride a long the park and got very close to the animals in thier soundings. We felt like we were in the middle of a jungle not a city or a zoo.

After this we were both exausted the heat and sheer amount of things we had done took it out of us. This was almost deffinatly the hottest day we have had. Even at midnight we were both dripping with sweat. Our hostel was in a place called little India which was quite close to the centre of the city we took a bus back and just crashed out.

The next day it was the first day of just Charlie and myself so it felt a little bit more like we had started our travels and less like a holiday. We had a mooch around and went to Raffles hotel to have a Singapore sling which is a must do if you are there. The one thing that was different was on the tables you were given monkey nuts and traditionly once you have cracked the nut you throw the shell
Overlooking the water fountains at Sentosa IslandOverlooking the water fountains at Sentosa IslandOverlooking the water fountains at Sentosa Island

What a magnificant sight with the Merlion at the far end
onthe floor so when you walk in it sounds like you are in a peanut factory.Raffles hotel is a very collonial and authentic looking building with matching interior it is thougt that this is where Sir Thomas Stanford Raffles arrived in 1819 to make the island a part of the British empire. Next on the agenda was to go to Chinatown and visit their hecktic markets which makes up a small portion of the city. Every time we looked slighly lost or Charlie got his map out someone always made time to stop and ask if they could help. By the time we were finished we were both exausted and we found a much cheaper way of getting back the average cost by taxi is 150 ringts which is almost 20 pounds split between the people in the car we got a bus which cost us 2.40 ringets which is which is 40p each so can't complain.

So we are back in Malaysia now and awaiting for Mark to get back from work so we can celebrate a joint birthday with Charlie we are off to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow to hopefully have Charlie birthday at the top of Sky
Guy suffering from the heat!Guy suffering from the heat!Guy suffering from the heat!

Note Guy's fan in the peak of his cap and the solar palel on the top ha ha!
tower which is a revolving bar over looking the city. It is a all you can eat buffey so Owen will be happy. So hope to update the blog abit sooner then we have done.

Hope everyone is ok back in the UK and thanks for the posted comments although they are all for Charlie. Til next time see ya all soon and hope you did not fall asleep while reading this.

Owen and Charlie


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Owen and Charlie on the edge of AsiaOwen and Charlie on the edge of Asia
Owen and Charlie on the edge of Asia

This is the Southern most tip of Asia, it's all north from now on!, well until we get to Aus!
Jimmy "the great"Jimmy "the great"
Jimmy "the great"

Singapore's funniest taxi driver!
Parliament buildings as seen from the river boatParliament buildings as seen from the river boat
Parliament buildings as seen from the river boat

We had dinner the previous evening on the opposite side of the river and this building looked wicked at night


21st November 2006

hello
hello EVERYONE!(not just charlie!) owen, did u write all of this? and we all hope your sun-burn gets better soon! every thing at home is alright! and you lot are very bad at spelling!(how do u spell F R I E N D S ?)I THINK YOU NEED 2 GO 2 SCHOOL AGAIN ,HA HA ! talking about school , i was ill on monday but a bit better now! anyway i have nearly 30 credits(if u know what they r!) cool pictures!we have seen one of those huge crabs before too,haha! looks like u have been up 2 a lot and a lot of fun! hope 2 hear from u soon, love your little sis(4 charlie)(mate 4 owen!) tess xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!
22nd November 2006

Greetings!
Hi Owen and Char! Brilliant blog entry, very insightful and love the photos. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAR!! Hope you've had a lovely meal at the top of the Sky Tower by the time you read this and Owen has taken full advantage of the 'all you can eat' buffet? Look forward to reading more of your adventures soon. Eva and Si, x PS. Got back from Venice on Monday and am now officially engaged!
23rd November 2006

behavoiur
Is charlie being a good boy with the "ladiees"? He said he would but nobody here believed him. Just remember all thats painted is not gold. Good to see you are having a great time, looking forward to reading the further adventures of the special needs kid trip around the world

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb