First Day on the Big Bus


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 19th 2019
Published: July 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

George is struggling with sciatica pains in his leg this morning, so we have to try to minimise the walking. We decided that a couple of days on the Big Bus would be just the tonic to sort it. It would also get us around a lot of Singapore.

The hotel offers free buffet breakfast every morning, so at about 8.30am we wandered down. We were horrified by the scene that met us. The room was full to overflowing with people. We did find two seats. Theresa went to get coffees, and whilst she was gone someone came and took her seat. Much as George protested he could not make himself understood. At this we asked the reception if it would be ok if we took a tray back to our room. We went back into the dining room, but were not happy with what we saw. There were many grubby looking hands grabbing food instead of using the tongs provided. So we just took our coffees and exited.

We had picked up a Big bus leaflet in reception which showed a bus stop right outside our hotel. We waited there until about 20 minutes after the bus was due then decided we should phone them. It turns out the map the hotel gave us was a little out of date and they no longer use this bus stop. Luckily though, we were able to get a bus from there to the central hub. A little bit more walking than we wanted, but at least it got us on our way.

After the confusion with breakfast and then with the bus stop, we decided we would do the yellow route only today. It had been raining a little earlier so the seats upstairs were all wet, but it made to a fun atmosphere on the top deck with great viewing potential.

We took the yellow route all the way around and got off where we got on at their central hub. Then to get closer to our hotel, we took the blue line for a couple of stops. This dropped us off near to the shopping mall we went to yesterday, so we were able to stock up again. We also made a quick visit to KFC for a quick lunch. The language issues made for some interesting hand gestures explaining that George wanted some thigh meat etc.

We enjoyed dinner so much last night we return to the Tekka Centre again tonight. We chose a different stall this time. Meal was lovely, but we agreed was not quite as nice as the night before.

Today is a national holiday here in Singapore. The streets are teaming with people. During the evening we passed a Hindu temple and were amazed at what was happening inside. There must have been about 100 men of all ages, in national costume, all dancing and singing. It was a real spectacle and enjoyable to watch. Embracing the culture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb