The ride is over


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 9th 2010
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

For those of you that have been following our trip we are glad to have shared such a great experience with you and even more grateful to have shared the experience with those we have met along the way. With such a trip we have had many great days and many days we could have done without but the memories and the lessons are well worth the effort invested. We are pleased to say we were not robbed, did not break down, did not catch any dreadful illnesses nor were we attacked by any wild animals.

Some of the more important things we have learnt.

The world is not such as big place.

South Africa does not live up to its bad reputation; it is really a lovely country.

Understanding what Howzit, Now Now, Just Now and Lekker means in Africans.

How to spot the difference between a Black & White Rhino.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's tyres are the best thing since sliced bread. 18,000Kms across Australia, 28,000km's through Africa, The Middle East and Europe. We traversed some of the most unforgiving road surfaces imaginable and not a single puncture. Our spare still has the Knobbles on, unreal.

When driving in the snow a 6" suspension lift is better than a 4”.

Unfortunately wild Africa does not really exist on the East Coast, except near Lake Turkhunna.

The Middle East is not dangerous, the Muslims we met were very friendly and helpful. They do insist on waking everyone in the country at 5.30am with the call to morning prayer, which does get a little tiring if you are not wanting to wake, apart from that we would thoroughly recommend the experience.

It is better to light a candle than to complain about the darkness. (message on a grave stone).

That we were extremely privileged to have had this experience and even more privileged to be able to return home to Australia.

That "experience” is what you get or have when previously you had none.

…What you've have done becomes the judge of what you're going to do, especially in other people's minds. When you're travelling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road…

Special thanks to:

Everyone who took the time to send emails or comments, it was always great to hear from you.

All those people who helped out along the way, fellow travellers who shared their valuable experiences and the many people who went out of their way to welcome us to their country.

The boy's in the VEHTEC throbbing Hub

Lyn & Smithy

Katarina , Patric & Francie; the most non-Germans we have ever had the pleasure of camping with.

Mile's for his ever positive twang/slant on anything that happened.

And finally, Dave Collett for his wisdom, tolerance and patience whilst we shared our journeys together.

Cheers

D&L




Advertisement



28th March 2010

Wisdom? I am going to have a tattoo with that: first time anyone has noticed.It was an awesome experience for me travelling with you guys, we need to repeat now now. And have a lekker time.
15th July 2013

This is 4 years late but I just read your whole trip. Had to after seeing it laid out on the map. I'm inspired! You may remember me from pre departure training for EWB in Melbourne. Im working on an oil clean up project in Kuwait now, so w
as quite interested in the middle east section. Hope rAdelaide is good. Sometimes I miss it. Wil

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb