Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Orchard Road
September 18th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Singapore after a very long flight from Rome. We got no sleep in the 12 hour flight, but watched plenty of movies. Picked up from the airport at 6am by Tim and Shona and brought back to Woodlands House, correction Woodlands Mansion! What a beautiful home build back in the 30's with high ceilings and large rooms in 30 degree heat and high humidity! Jen promptly fell asleep on the bed and the rest of the cast got on with the show. Sleeping beauty!

We then went to the Aussie club to watch the Wallabies play Ireland, heh, heh, heh!!! Oh the joy! Must not gloat. Cannot help myself! We then went out to dinner at a local Thai restuarant to rejoice heh!, heh!

Sunday, slept in late and awoke to a cooked breakfast. Attended mass at the local Military church and then it was off into the city. We were amazed at the changes in the city from our last visit in 1996. This was a dramatic contrast to the historic old buildings of Europe to the modern urban jungle of Singapore. Bad timing on my part with the Formula One race occuring this Saturday, however
Marina Sands HotelMarina Sands HotelMarina Sands Hotel

What a complex and the top part is a swimming pool 150 meters long!
we did manage to drive on parts of the race track!

We managed to get tickets for the stage production of the "Lion King" and we will let you know the outcome in the next blog. We then had dinner in the historic Singapore cricket club and watched our beloved Liverpool get hammered.

Monday awoke to a magnificent thunderstorm and rain, but managed to visit Singapore Zoo for Jenni as I do not like Zoos. Looking forward to the show.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Agony of bad timingAgony of bad timing
Agony of bad timing

closest I will get to the grand prix. Starts on Sunday we leave on Wednesday night!
New Skyline.New Skyline.
New Skyline.

These were not there when we last visted 15 years ago.


19th September 2011

Suddenly thought I hadn't checked your blog for a while and see you're almost home! Wow! Sounds like you had a great time in Rome. It is such a great city. Glad you got to see the "Irish game". My sister was there and like most of Auckland was bedecked in green. The RWC is taking off. Someone at work decided we would have a decorate your workpod competition - our team got given England so guess who took charge! They are only relaising now that they may have unleashed a monster! Off to Melbourne Oct 7 to me Ju after she's been to the ACEL conference and we'[re having 5 days in Melbourne. My first "Holiday" since the end of March. Great stuff. Hope the last few days and the flight home go well.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb