Callao Caves


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
September 2nd 2017
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Callao Caves in Peñablanca, Cagayan Valley.
Located at the foothills of Western Sierra Madre. This is only one of the over 300 known caves in the area. (Cagayan is dubbed as the "caving capital of the Phils.)
Callao Cave has a total of nine chambers, seven of which can be explored by visitors, the other two chambers were closed off by an earthquake during the 80's.
It's largest chamber soars to a great height of 118feet.
Five of the chambers have natural roof crevices which lets in sunlight.

The main attraction of Callao Cave is it's first chamber which was turned into a chapel and is also used for weddings. The chamber looks so magical!
The Callao Man was also found in the first chamber, it's a probable Homo Sapien and the oldest fossilized remains found in the country, which is 67,000 years old, older than Palawan's famous Tabon Man who is 20,000 years old.

How to get there:
A thirty minute to an hour drive from Tuguegarao City. You can use your own private car, commute, hire a van or hire a tricycle which costs 400-700Php, depends on how good you are in haggling, lol.
When you arrive at the tourist information center, you are required to hire a tour guide if it's your first time visiting the cave.
Now get ready for an uphill battle! Be sure to have your water ready because you'll be facing a hundred and eighty-four steps up until the mouth of the cave!

Bus Fare: Baguio-Tuguegarao
Manila-Tuguegarao: 600Php (approx.)
Tricycle to Callao- 400-700Php
Jitney: 25Php/person
Entrance fee: 20Pphp
Note: Our tour guide just asked for any amount we can give.

Enjoy! and remember to leave nothing but footprints, and take nothing but pictures!
Adventure awaits!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb