7,000,000,000?


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
November 13th 2011
Published: November 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After the birth of the 7 billionth baby girl in the Philippines on October 31th, the world population has surpassed the 7 billionth mark. In this article, it explains the significance of 7 billion as a world population and offers some realistic example of the enormousness of 7 billion.

For example:
- Seven billion seconds ago, the year was 1789. That was the year George Washington was inaugurated as the first U.S. president and Congress met for the very first time.

- If you took 7 billion steps along the Earth's equator -- at 2 feet per step -- you could walk around the world at least 106 times.

On the good side, more people means increase in production.

At the same time, we are celebrating this milestone, but is this a good thing? Likewise, the United Nation predicts that the global population will hit 9 billion in 2050.

Even though if 7 billion people standing shoulder to shoulder, it would only filled up the entire city of Los Angeles. Instead of space, we should think about the human impact of 7 billion people on this Earth...

Some people in this world are still living without clean water, so how can we provide it for 7 billion people?

- Why are the causes to the increase in global population? Focus on certain countries? Longer life expectancy?

- How can we slow population growth?

- Do we have enough natural resources?

This article relates to the structure of a civilization, are we civilized enough to live responsibly among 6,999,999,999 other people?



http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-31/world/world_7-billion_1_global-population-scale-population-reference-bureau?_s=PM:WORLD

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb