Bohol Chronicles: The Arrival


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Bohol » Tagbilaran
February 21st 2006
Published: October 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

TarsiersTarsiersTarsiers

We were planning to go to Corella and see the tarsiers at The Tarsier Sanctuary, but due to lack of time, we had to settle seeing one here in Loboc.
For weeks, I have mapped out the entire vacation for Rob and I. After weeks of intensive researching, making inquiries and reserving, at last, we have arrived!

It's day one today. We left Manila around 8am and arrived at Tagbilaran after an hour and a half plane ride. I swear, looking down into the islands of the country, with the lush green and blue sea, uniquely shaped islands and the cloud formation is one of a kind! Seeing the islands from the heavens are a lot more enchanting than seeing them on land. As we neared the island and began landing, and as the plane circled around, you can see Panglao Island's white beach and the contrast of the blue and green in it's waters. I was so excited... so excited I was clapping my hands and gushing like a loony! Rob tried to calm me down, but I couldn't stop myself!

We were staying at the Panglao Island Nature Resort located just outside Tagbilaran proper.

Panglao Island as I remember is about 20-30 minutes away from the airport and is connected by a small bridge to Tagbilaran. It's quite easy to get back and forth from the city to the
Cotton Candy CloudsCotton Candy CloudsCotton Candy Clouds

Plane ride to Bohol.
island. The good thing about the resort we were staying at was that they provided shuttle buses to the city, which was good news for us since we were planning to really get around. Taxis here costs a lot, 'coz you have to pay double for your fare. You pay their (cab's) trip to take you out of the island and then you pay another for the ride out of the island. It’s a bit stupid, but it's a province and cabs/taxis are not a very common form of transportation.

Other than lounging at the beach and getting a tan, seeing the entirety (or at least the must sees) of Bohol was our priority. Bohol boasts of several wonders and it would be a shame if I we let this opportunity pass. Careful plotting of where to go and when to go is absolutely crucial so you can really get around. After hanging for a few hours at the resort we headed back to Tagbilaran.

Our first stop: Lunch at the Loboc River Floating Restaurant.

We were hungry. Usually, when you tour a place, you start with the farthest spot, but our tummies came in first. We
Panglao Island Nature ResortPanglao Island Nature ResortPanglao Island Nature Resort

Lounging for a few hours before we went back to the city.
consumed most of the morning at the resort and we haven't had any breakfast yet (except for a few hotdogs). Relaxing and eating a buffet meal at the floating restaurant sounded better than driving to see the Chocolate Hills.


Loboc River is located in the valleys of the city of Loboc, one of Bohol's oldest towns. After traveling for more than 20kms, estimated 1hr and 30 minutes (I think... I was starving and Rob was grumpy, so my memory of the ride wasn't that great), via jeepney, we arrived in front of the Loboc Floating Restaurant. We sat in front of the jeeepney, and the driver, who knew how to speak Filipino (Tagalogas most people call it), was gracious enough to stop at the restaurant, have his sidekick go over to the counter and tell the manager that we were there to experience the ride.... more so, to have a late lunch.

The "restaurant" itself is on a wooden dais on top of two bancas (boats), which were stringed together. We were ushered by the manager to a boat that is about leave. As we started to float upstream, the band started playing some Filipino music, and
Loboc River Floating RestaurantLoboc River Floating RestaurantLoboc River Floating Restaurant

Buffet Lunch at the Loboc River was exhilirating.
that signaled the beginning of the buffet. Rob and I was so hungry, we grabbed our plate and practically filled it with everything on the table. They served mostly Filipino cuisine like Sinigang na Hipon and Adobong Baboy (Boholano style, I think). It's actually funny the way people act when they are hungry. Rob and I barely spoke for a good 20 minutes because we were hungrily munching away.

After satisfying our bellies, we started to relax as we cruised our way up the green river. I still wonder until now, why the river was green. Although it wasn't crystal clear, it was still invigorating to the senses. Once again, let me reiterate, I came from the city where fresh air is merely a figment of your imagination.

Along the cruise, you'll basically see greeneries and a lot of coconut trees and sometimes, kids swimming around. The cruise upstream is slow which gives you ample time to savor your food and the scenery. When you reach Busay Falls, it means you're halfway finished with the cruise. The floating restaurant will then stop in front of several men afloat on a raft who will serenade you with their Boholano
Munching Like MonstersMunching Like MonstersMunching Like Monsters

Well, after eating like there is no tomorrow, we finally started taking pictures and notice of our surroundings.
songs. After several minutes, the boat will start to turn around and head back downstream.

To be honest, the food wasn't that great (my opinion only) but the experience itself of eating on a floating restaurant while cruising along Loboc River (a clean one, if I may stress) is worth the Php250 bucks that you'll pay. And seeing a French guy ask the waitress if he can take home 2 dozen bananas is priceless!

Second stop: Tarsiers beside Loboc River.

We were planning to travel to Corella and see the Tarsiers in their local habitat. The Philippine Tarsier Foundation, a sanctuary for these animals, is located there, but it was too far from Tagbilaran and we didn't have enough time to take a long bus ride. We settled for the shops located along the strip of the river. The Tarsiers lived on small plants and there were about 10-20 of them in one shop.

Tarsiers are really small and fluffy. They kind of reminded me of "Stich" from "Lilo and Stich". Anyway, they were very small, like the size of your palm, with huge inquiring eyes. They are nocturnal, but as people flocked in to gaze
HaranaHaranaHarana

At the end of the river are men serenading you with Boholano songs.
at them, the Tarsiers looked like they too were wondering what kind of species we were! Rob fell in love with them and wanted to really keep them. We wanted to hold the little thing, but we felt like we might be invading their "privacy". However, the caretaker let the French guy hold it. The Tarsier looked a bit irritated when a lot of the tourists asked to hold it and have their pictures taken with it.

When the other tourists left (we were the first ones to arrive/last to leave), we started to talk to another caretaker. She told us that the Tarisers kept in the shops were created as part of the province's tourism. Corella was too far from the main city, and Loboc is a lot more accessible. These little creatures mostly eat insects like crickets or cockroaches. The ones in the shop said they mostly feed them with dead crickets. She then offered to show us how to feed them. The Tarsier twisted its head, looked at the cricket and then grabbed it with both hands and then noisily munched on the insect.

Tarsiers are territorial. They say that they stay in a place
Busay WaterfallBusay WaterfallBusay Waterfall

This is where the cruise will end since the river becomes too narrow for the floating restaurant to pass through.
if they feel like it and would eventually leave if they want to do so. The Tarsiers in the shops are not caged, but are left alone on several small plants. It is said that if a Tarsier is unhappy, they will just decide on their own to stop breathing.

Anyway, seeing these creatures are worth the trip. Although, you might want to take them home as a pet (which Rob really plotted on for three days), it is a protected endangered animal and possession of one is strictly prohibited and illegal. Rob wasn't able to get one; instead, we bought him a t-shirt with a cute Tarsier on it while I got myself a Tarsier magnet.

Last Stop: Loboc Church

While waiting for a jeepney/v-hires to pass by, we decided go check the Loboc Church who was just across the street. Part of the church is the Diocesan Museum of Tagbilaran, Loboc branch, which houses old artifacts dated from the 1600's. It costs Php15 per head and you will have your own museum guide. I don't remember the name of our guide, or to be more exact, I didn't understand what his name was nor were
Photogenic TarsierPhotogenic TarsierPhotogenic Tarsier

Rob plotted for 3 days on how he can smuggle the Tarsier out, but failed to do so. It's an endagered animal. Possesion of one is illegal. PS... the tarsier was looking at the cam too!
we able to make out any of his words.

The museum is pretty interesting. The only scary part of the whole trip though was that on the second and third floor of the building, are creaky molave floors that they seem to have not changed since they built the church. Molave is one sturdy wood, but if you hear the floor creaking and see the ground down below from where you are standing, you will definitely freak out! I did! I even made Rob stay 5 steps away from me, because I was already thinking of the worst! On the way to the third floor, I made them test the floor first before I even laid a toe on it! Yeah, I'm paranoid, I know!

The church itself was simply amazing. I'm not a churchgoer nor do I like visiting churches, but this one was quite extraordinary. With ceiling paintings dating hundreds of years and an antique altar that was hella big, I was entrance by all of it. Too bad, the Loboc Children's Choir wasn't there. I heard they were famous worldwide. The whole tour takes about less than an hour, depending on how much you want
Loboc ChurchLoboc ChurchLoboc Church

Across the Floating Restaurant is the city of Loboc's church. It's very old and they haven't changed the molave flooring for ah... over 300 yrs.
to linger around.

We were thinking of hauling our bums to Chocolate Hills, but the locals said it was too late and when we get there, it would be nightfall. So, we caught a V-hire on the way to Tagbilaran and decided to end today's travel. After all, there are 3 more days to go!


PS: Just my Thoughts and Bits and Peices of Info!



1. Chatting with the jeepney/habal-habal/v-hires/taxi/tricycle drivers is strongly suggested. If you like to backpack and discover things on your own, instead of going on packaged tours, talk to them. They will provide you with huge amounts of info that you'll never feel like you will get lost in an unknown city.

2. V-hires (van for hire) Habal-habal (motorbike).

3. Loboc Floating Restaurant costs about Php250 per head. That includes the buffet and the cruise. Drinks comes in a seperate bill and is a bit pricey.

4. To get to Loboc via commute: From Tagbilaran, on Carlos P. Garcia Ave. (main highway), you may take a jeepney/tricycle to the Dao Bus Terminal. This is right behind the Island City Mall. There's a jeepney terminal there. Ask for the jeep
Painting on the CeilingPainting on the CeilingPainting on the Ceiling

According to our guide, the paintings on the ceiling of the church has never been touched since the day it was created.
bound to Loboc. Sit in front, so you can have a little chat with the driver and ask him if he can drop you off at the restaurant.

5. To get back to Tagbilaran: Just wait at the main highway, there will be jeepneys/v-hires that will be passing by bound for the city.

6. There is no entrance fee to see the Tarsiers in the shops along Loboc. They do, however, ask for donations used to buy the Tarsier's food. You may also buy some souvenirs at the shop. You can bargain with the sales person provided you will buy a lot.

7. Loboc Church is just right across the street. Visit it. It's one of the oldest churches in the Philippines!

8. Peanut Kisses/any kind of local pastries you might want to buy at the tourist shops are expensive. I would recommend that you stop at one of the groceries (Bohol Quality Mall (CPG Ave)/Island City Mall(Dao) where you will get them at a better price.

9. Filipino is our national language. Tagalog is a dialect.

10. When you get in Bohol, it's best you go first to Chocolate Hills, then you will
Loboc MusuemLoboc MusuemLoboc Musuem

Rob with our guide. I forgot his name... well, I couldn't understand his name. He was really old, we couldn't decipher anything he was saying! Musical instruments dating back hundreds of years.
find yourself go back the same way, down to the Floating Restaurant to have lunch, then the Tarsiers, then the Museum and on the way back to Tagbilaran, you'll pass by the Blood Compact Monument.

11. Suggested only, if you leave early in the morning. If you leave around noon/early afternoon, you'll be back in the wee hours already. You might even get stuck 'coz most public transportation only travels up until around 6pm.

12. If you're a Filipino/Balikbayan check Philippine Airlines for cool and cheap Palakbayan Packages.

13. You may also travel via Cebu Pacific. It's a budget airline and trips to Tagbilaran is cheaper than most.

14. Check my other Bohol Chronicles: Bohol Chronicles: Of Dolphins and Near Death Experiences, Bohol Chronicles: Chocolate Hills





Advertisement



17th October 2006

dong i love it!!!
finally you started it already!!! ive been waiting and waiting for you to finally put you travels to writing!!! good job!!! love the pics esp....pede nang pang glossy travel mag! hahahaha! come on lets got to sagada.
17th October 2006

heheh
tenchu!!!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb