We get by with a little help from our friends


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
July 1st 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 27.5833, 84.5

We were up early doors, heading back to Chitwan district to volunteer at the village we had visited previously! We had booked tickets on the tourist bus, which apparently has more reliable, less risk taking drivers and a little more room on it!! Believe it if you will! There were the usual street sellers along the side of the road, offering various pastries and drinks for the avid travellers, who clearly had no memory, as even when we had boarded the bus, they were yelling at us through the window. I wonder how many times we say 'No thank you' in a day!

There was another English girl in front of us on the bus, Millie, who we had a god natter with in the 6 hr trip! Every time the bus stopped, everyone piled out but myself, Emily and Steph… we were used to long travel days and were more than happy with our mango sweets! After various drop offs, we were last and the driver from the hotel had come to collect us! We sat on the roof of the jeep, to get some fresh air in our hair as we had been cooped up for so long. The driver was such a love! He carried all 3 of our big bags up to the room for us when we arrived, and then within minutes we were whisked away for some lunch in the restaurant free of charge! They were such loves. From then on, we were expected to eat Dal Baht with the staff for food every breakfast and dinner as they don't eat lunch. In the afternoon, the reality of monsoon hit, as the power went out and the heavens opened outside. There was nothing more to do than go and dance in it, and then just sat appreciating the coolness!!

That evening, it was quite an experience as we had to learn how to eat again! They do not eat with knives and folks, just fingers, scooping it up with your fingers and then pushing it into your mouth with your thumb. I can only describe it as ape like! Was hilarious though. The dal baht itself was lovely, however the veg that came with it, were a little on the spicy side for both me and Emily, so Steph was our spice dustbin and ate it for us! After washing up from the water pump outside, we returned to the room, for Australian masterchef and a good night's sleep before meeting all the kids in the morning!!

Whilst eating our rice, dal and potato curry for breakfast, we were informed that we would not go to the village that day, as the night before there had been a Maoist strike and someone was in hospital, meaning that no transport was running in that direction that day as it was too dangerous. This meant, we just had an awesome chillaxed day of sleeping, watching highly intellectual films such as Transformers and Rio and diary writing. That evening, Keeshab had offered to go and see sunset at the river, away from the tourist town, so we jumped on the back of the jeep and bounced our way, down the sexy roads towards the river. When we arrived, there was a small bar, and it was lovely to sit by the water enjoying a beer/sprite. There were abt 40 people playing football on one of the opposite bank, people fishing in the river, a man trying to heard his naughty buffalo back home across the river (they really didn't want to go home, and ran away from him at least 5 times, and until he got help, he didn't succeed!) and children playing on the bridge. It was a truly lovely evening. As the sun dropped, the colours in the sky were like nothing I have seen before, all the colours of the rainbow were spread throughout the clouds, changing from more blue tones to red. Truly a stunning sight, never to be forgotten!

Working with the kids over the next few days made me realise I had made the right decision about not going on a trek this time round. We were all given Nepali names to make it easier for the children to remember. I was Nirmala.

The first day up there, the four of us (Jay had joined us after his white-water rafting) just worked in the day-care centre with the small children who were all under the age of 5. They were so shocked to begin with, as they had not had a lot of contact with westerners, if any. Once the stares had calmed down, we started to play catch with them, and other small games. The braver ones started off and then the others came to join in. soon the majority of them were giggling and playing in some form. We also helped to feed them, their meal they receive there. They must have been so hungry as they pretty much inhaled it, almost trying to eat it, before it was on the folk. The next few days, we spent a little less time with them, as we worked in the school in the mornings, but it was still a pleasure and by the end of the week, they recognised us and were happy to come and play without feeling scared anymore. We also attempted to learn Nepali numbers with them! It is a hard language to learn!!

For the last 3 days of the week, we were asked to help teach in the school, which was across the playing field from the day-care centre. We were of course delighted to help out. The school was split into 5 classes ranging from 5yrs to 14 (most children are married by 14 in rural communities). We were to ‘help' teach…. Well in fact, we were given chalk and a board rubber and put in a class room by ourselves and left to it for 40 mins each lesson! At first we were confused as to what the hell was going on, but we soon were engrossed in from their books with the odd adlib of head, shoulders, knees and toes and the hokeekokee!! It was an amazing experience, which we all enjoyed. On our last day, the children had a singing class all together, where instruments were played and we were all dragged up to dance, it was beautiful and fantastic fun.

On talking to the teachers, they were so young, the youngest being only 19 and the headmistress only 25. They get paid the equivalent of £15 a month if there is money available in the pot, to feed their entire family (they mostly had babies at home, being looked after by their mothers!) but they all were happy with what they were doing and believed that they were making a real difference to the future of the children which was lovely to see.

It was such a shame that we could not have stayed longer and got to know the children better, however I think that all of us will stay in touch with the village and attempt to help in whatever way we can in the future!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb