Don't Think. Just Jump


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Tatopani » Dhulikhel
July 16th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 27.6154, 85.611

The Last Resort

This was on the trip itinerary before Tibet got cancelled, as it is on the way to the border. But now it was on our itinerary for our two week break! The largest canyon swing in the world…. Hell yes!

Their office is in Thamel, not far away from our usual haunt of the Northfield café. We discussed the possibility of going on the car journey back from Chitwan …. (We had our own personal driver, as he was coming to pick up another client from the city…. Lifestyle of the rich and famous for a few hours at least!) and decided to go and chat to them about our options. Due to it being off season, transport was not as regular as it could have been, but that gave us the option of staying there for 3 days, 2 nights and having a chill in the mountains away from the horns and pollution of the city for a few days, before throwing ourselves off a 160m bridge!!

We had a small MPV up there are there were only 3 of us booked in to go up that day. Again, to us, the 3 hour trip seemed pitiful, and the stop needless, but it is what they had to do! The drive was beautiful once we escaped the city confounds, as we climbed into the mountains and then down along a river valley to the site. When we arrived, we piled out looking like turtles, with our homes on our backs and valuables in daysacks on the front; we were escorted to a wire bridge across the gorge that we would be throwing ourselves into, later that week. Our only issue was there was a bar to duck under, fine if just you… if you have an 80l bag on it….. Interesting! But with a little help from each other we managed to just about stand up again after squatting under! As we walked over the wobble bridge, it hit Emily (who doesn't like heights) how far down the jump really was going to be, and renditions of 'oh my god' in a Scottish accent rang over the valley!! Once at the other side, I was not feeling to bad abt the jump, but that was soon to change! We were taken to our tents, which were basic, comfortable and ultimately amazing! There were 4 single beds in the corners, and a table at one end, with a large halogen light suspended at the far end. I loved it, and could have stayed there easily for a week or 2!

That morning, before lunch (as we were checked in by 9.30am) the girls (Steph and Em) did high ropes, the equivalent of Treetop at Hilltop. I decided against paying £30 for something that I do all the time at home, but went along as official photographer and moral support. Their first obstacle was to climb themselves up Jacobs Ladder, a feat in itself! And then 6 more challenges later they were on their way down. Perfect time for the included lunch. Yummy!

That afternoon was a chilled diary and postcard (16 of the sods, which probs won't make it home anyway!) writing session, in the bar on the comfy cushions. It was lovely, especially when the heavens opened and we were in almost an open barn, hearing the rain on the roof. And with the accompaniment of twixs and tea it was all good!!!! Dinner that evening was as huge as the lunch was, with endless amounts of Nepali and western food and as much as you could eat. We sat talking to a NZ group that had been there for the day on the way from Tibet to Kathmandu but were leaving in the morning, leaving the whole resort just for us! Jay arrived that evening too, after having a mare on local transport to get up the road far enough.

The following day was a day of chatting; Jay teaching me to sign and the dreaded journal writing (become almost homework like by its nature!) We must have sat by our window, on the cushions for the majority of the day. They brought us our lunch and dinner on plates as it was only the 4 of us there, and dinner was by candle light due to the inevitable power cut of the day! It was lovely to have a day of nothing again… we don't have enough of those on this trip!

By the following morning I was bricking it about the jump!! What a mentalist, I bloody hate the feeling of falling and 7 seconds free-fall seemed to be a very long time in my head! I refused to eat breakfast as I thought it would prob not stay put in my stomach for too long, either through my usual ‘throw up when nervous' syndrome I seem to have adopted, or through the shear stomach flip of the drop.

As we were packing up the tent, Bob and Becca appeared at the door! There was a lot of screaming and hugging, as we had not seen her for so long as she had just done the basecamp trek (in the mist) and had been gone for what seemed like ages! Toby had also come on the bus for the day to swing too!!!

We all went up for weigh in, and I was surprised that I am now only 65kg (10 stone), whoop whoop, although I am sure by the time I reach Chinese food that will all pile itself back on!! But this did not make a difference, as the swingers were going first, no matter what the weight was! FML! One of the instructors jumped off the swing first, headfirst, being attached by his back. Now that really was mental, I think upright and holding on with eyes closed is the way forward!! As more jumped, my weight was coming up, Em was 64kg and so went to be harnessed, then it was me….. or maybe not…. They turned round and started sending the heavier ones down! The guy that was harnessing just kept laughing at me, shaking he head and going ‘not you now'! arghhhhhh! I really was last! We wore access harnesses to jump, which made me feel a little better about my internal organs, and I knew how they were supposed to go on, so could check it as he went (I used to hate it when clients did that to me though!) I then had a camera in my face ‘so Laura how are you feeling?' I think I did well not to hit him to be honest, but gave a very short reply and he soon buggered off! He filmed the rest of it though, which I shall upload when I obtain a proper internet connection. I was not a happy bunny, but with a ‘don't think just jump' in my head I stepped off!!! The 6 secs of free-fall did not seem too long, but my stomach was definitely in my mouth. Then there was the swing bit which was amazing and what I was looking forward to the most! The river in the gorge was making a ferocious sound as it bounced over the rocks, that I hadn't noticed from the top, and actually looked pretty scary in its own right. To get down, we pulled ourselves over to a ladder on the cliff face via a rope, climbed up the ladder to the instructor at the bottom, who unclipped everything for you. I was glad I had done it, but wasn't all that sure I would do it again!

The walk back up was a killer, what falls down 160m must climb back up 160m! With jelly legs it was not a pleasant walk, but had to be done at reasonable speed in order to see the other mentalists of our group bungee! I had made promises to home I wouldn't bounce myself so I cheered with Emily and Toby!

It was then lunch…. By now I was starving and happily ate spag bol, chips and mango for pud. I also had a drink with a girl called Kirsty, who was travelling alone, but would be arriving, in Oz in Jan, when I start off from Perth on my little adventure! Travel buddy possibilities!

We watched the videos of us jumping and of course paid the £20 for a copy of it and a ‘free' t shirt and then it was home time. I was very sad to leave this place, esp. with the atmosphere and being back up in the mountains again, but I will definitely be back, even if it is just to relax and have a massage, rather than try and give myself internal damage!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb