Nepal--I've been to the mountaintop!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

If you're in Nepal, you really want to feel that you've been to the top of a mountain. We never got to see the Himalayan Mountains the way they look in postcards -- snowcapped mountains with clear, blue skies -- because we were visiting at the wrong time of year and it was too cloudy. Still we did get to see the sun rise over the Annapurna range and the Pokhara valley from a hillside town above Pokhara called Sarangot. Sarangkot has a viewing station which looks over the Pokhara. Sarangkot has a viewing station which looks over the Pokhara valley on one side, and the entire Annapurna range on the other.

To get to Sarangot, we left our hotel at 5:30 a.m. and drove for quite a while. After parking, we made a steep climb up some stairs to the viewing platform. En route, we passed about a dozen or so vendors who had set up stalls selling jewelry, postcards, T-shirts, shawls, blankets, etc. Not having had any coffee, I was very happy to find that one vendor was making hot chai tea. (Getting good coffee in India and Nepal has really been a challenge.)

When we reached the viewing platform, we encountered dozens of Japanese, European, and American peering through binoculars and posing for pictures. In about 20 minutes, we all got to see the sun rise high in the sky. I think this must have been about the fourth sunrise I've seen on this trip!

As we walked back down, I bought a red and yellow, woven shawl/blanket from a Nepali woman who told me she herself had made it, thinking it would make a nice gift for my sister. When we got to the place out bus had parked, wouldn't you know -- the bus wouldn't start. So we all got out and PUSHED! Fortunately, the brakes on the bus were in good condition, so we made it safely back down the mountain!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th February 2011
Sun rising over Himalayan Mountains from Sarangkot

himalayan
It is so beautiful......................................................I like it very much........................................................and Iam surprise
15th February 2011
Sun rising over Himalayan Mountains from Sarangkot

himalayan
It is so beautiful......................................................I like it very much........................................................and Iam surprise
15th February 2011
Sun rising over Himalayan Mountains from Sarangkot

himalayan
It is so beautiful......................................................I like it very much........................................................and Iam surprise

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb