Gokyo lakes - walk to the 4th & 5th lakes


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Gokyo Lakes
November 16th 2018
Published: February 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post


There are definite pros and cons to ending up in a little group. Obviously it’s much safer and route finding is easier with more eyes. I’ve also found that I can dig deep and keep going as I don’t want to let the team down in a way I don’t necessarily do when it’s just Stephen with me. It’s also more fun having other people to have conversations with, especially at meal times. That said you catch each other’s bugs. Bart felt unwell yesterday, Stephen this morning and me this evening. Typical.

We didn’t set an alarm this morning - we ended up waking up around 830am. Sleep was definitely needed.
Miriam and Robin had already left as they were planning on walking to the 7th lake, by Cho Oyo base camp, an 8 hr return trip. Bart was sitting in the restaurant having decided to have a complete rest day today. We joined him for breakfast before heading off to see the 4th and 5th lakes.

Gokyo Tso, the lake we are staying next to, is considered the third lake, at 4730m. It was a relatively easy walk to Thonak Tsho, the 4th lake at 4870m. We arrived after about 45mins of gentle uphill walking, made more difficult by the fact the path is boulder strewn.
I found this lake a little disappointing. It was concrete grey and no where near as pretty as Gokyo.
Continuing past this lake the path became much more undulating for a while before descending into a sandy valley. On one side was the glacial moraine and the other hills. It felt further than to the first lake and Stephen was starting to feel quite tired and unwell by this point.
Fortunately the 5th lake was much more beautiful than the 4th, although still not as pretty as Gokyo!

After stopping for some nuts and water we headed back to Gokyo. We got back around 215pm and enjoyed a yummy stew after changing.

In the afternoon Stephen went for a lie down whilst I read my book. He then managed to wake up and glue his boots back together again (again) so hopefully they’ll survive until Kathmandu. Although I suspect they won’t survive to leave Nepal....

We then all met up again for dinner. Bart is feeling better. Miriam and Robin enjoyed their walk and apparently the views from the 6th lake were stunning and well worth the walk. I’m still pleased we had a shorter day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb